Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

When I woke up this morning I noticed a big, red, sensitive

When I woke up this morning I noticed a big, red, sensitive to the touch large hard lump on the outside of my left elbow. It is about at size of a quarter but fairly thick. As the day progressed, I discovered a much smaller and not so thick but still tender and hard, red lump at the bottom my right shoulder blade. Should I be concerned? I don't have an appt. to see my primary care doctor unitl the 11th. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. Sage Morris; I am a 59 yr. old female with arthritis and Connective Tissue Disease as well as many C spinal condition that range for malformed lordosis, to stenosis,spondylosis to tri-level fusions of C-3-4 & 4-5 (complete w/cages, plates & screws). I am facing another C-spine surgery for C2 -C3 and C-5. 5-6 and 6-7 again with cages, plates and screws. I don't know if any of my history is of help to you with these painful lumps on my left elbow or right shoulder blade but I mentioned them to you, just in case.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Is the lump painful?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Does anything make the pain better or worse?

Customer:

keeping it immobile with an ace bandage but after a few hours the bandage felt too tight because my arm had swelled.

Dr Brims :

Okay, this may be an inflamed bursa, called bursitis

Dr Brims :

It is usually treated with an anti-inflammatory drug like motrin or aleve

Dr Brims :

That usually helps the swelling and pain

Dr Brims :

Sometimes, antibiotics are required if it is infected

Customer:

They have to be drained, don't they? What caused me to get this? I didn't do anything yesterday to warrant an injury and simply woke up this morning with it and now another one is forming on my right shoulder blade.

Dr Brims :

If it is infected it may have to be drained

Dr Brims :

It may have been caused by irritation within the bursa

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I will be seeing my doctor on the 11th

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

I'm happy I could help

Customer:

Bye Bye

Dr Brims :

If you have any other questions on this topic please feel free to ask

Customer:

ok thx

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience