911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

My doctor prescribed me Paxil 3 days ago due to depression

My doctor prescribed me Paxil 3 days ago due to depression caused by a loss in my family. He started me out on a 30mg tablet that I have been taking at night (directions just say daily). Does it matter if I take this medication at night or in the morning? I notice when I get up in the morning I am a bit groggy. Would it be harmful to split it and take half in the morning and half at night?

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss.

Secondly, I do NOT advise cutting the tablet in half. You should take the dose prescribed at the same time every day.

That being said, you CAN take it in the morning.

Understand that this medicine WILL help, but that the medicine takes some time, up to a few weeks, to have its full effect.

It is not uncommon to have some side effects on initiation of the medicine, and these generally become less bothersome over time.

I think transitioning to a morning dose would be fine. To do this I would skip your next evening dose and take the full dose the following morning.

Thank you for your question. If you have a follow up question simply type it in the box below and click 'reply'.

I hope you begin to feel better soon.