Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

FibroAdenoma in breast with 1-2 cm size. questiosn about removal

Customer Question

FibroAdenoma in breast with 1-2 cm size. questiosn about removal surgery:
1. Recovery time?pain and symptoms after surgery?time off work?
2. How much will be removed from surrounding area?Is cosmatic surgery required follwoing the surgery?
3. 2nd biopsy will be done after removal. What are the statstic on findind out the adenoma is malignent when 1st biobsy was OK
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

What is your age?

Associated pain,swelling,redness?

Is area tender to touch?

Is it growing in size over the time?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a friend of mine and should have clarify the question:This tumor has already been identified as fibroadenoma and recommendation to remove via minor surgery. It was discovered 2 months ago .She is 45 and she is going for the surgery. She wants to know all the questions that need to be asked during consulation. No symptoms.

Thanks for providing more information.

Fibroadenoma is a benign condition and after biopsy can be left in place if the patient does not wish it removed.

With surgical excision of a large lump then often general anesthetic is used and this involves a couple of days as an inpatient, however for a small lump then you may be treated as day care outpatient with local anesthetic for the surgery and be able to go home the same day.

Recovery is usually straightforward although you will be advised not to do heavy lifting until the wound is healed.

However it does leave a scar and the surgery can result in a change to the shape of the breast.

The scar size will depend on the size of lump and also the position in the breast.

Having said that. it is a very safe procedure with the common risks of bleeding, bruising and infection as for any operation.

And follow up is initially to see how the wound is healing but then no further extra visits are needed.

As she has small size of fibroadenoma so she can discuss other treatment options.

Cryoablation is a new technique that has been approved by the FDA.
Cryoablation is best for small (less than 3cm) lumps that are easy to see on ultrasound. and there will be 6 monthly follow up visits for 2 years.

For further readings-

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/breastcancersurgery/a/fibro-treatment-hub.htm

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.