Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

Is drinking alkaline water good for you?

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

First regular drinking water has a pH of 7.

And alkaline water has a ph of 9.5 and is alkaline.

The blood has a very strong buffer system to keep the body's pH level between 7.2 and 7.4

There is nothing to show that drinking alkaline water will improve your health and increase your immunity.

There are no scientific studies that document a benefit from drinking alkaline water over standard water
Drinking plain water is the best thing for you.
It is a scam.

And if you should eat a healthy diet, you get the best antioxidants in the foods you eat from natural fruits and vegetables.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a compounding pharmacist and have read about the doctor who won a nobel prize for discovering that cancer can't grow in an alkaline environment. I understand that cause and effect may not be able to be said just by drinking alkaline water, but is there harm in drinking it? Have they done research on drinking alkaline water that you know of? Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Firstly please go through the link telling the FDA warnings-

http://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/files/Advisories_food_FDA%20Advisory%20No%202011-013.pdf

There are some scientific studies that really argue against alkalinity, at least with respect to preventing or treating cancer.

Consider the research by Robert Gilles, who has studied tumor formation and acidity According to Gilles, tumors, by their very nature, make themselves acidic - even in an alkaline cellular structure.

Scientists who are in the process of developing prototypes for potential new anticancer agents that selectively kill tumor cells by interfering with the regulation of intracellular pH, have found that alkaline treatments don't have the desired effect - but strongly acidic treatments do.

So, all of those ionizer salesmen promising alkaline water will lower your cancer risk are completely clueless when it comes to what the scientific research actually shows.

For details-

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/11/alkaline-water-interview.aspx

The body tends to keep its overall pH levels at or close to 7.

By consistently drinking alkaline water, you're forcing the body to work harder to maintain a neutral pH, potentially causing illness over time.

High levels of alkalinity are shown to cause alkaline-induced cell death.
When consumed daily, the upper bowel in particular becomes overly alkaline and side effects begin to appear.

Drinking large amounts of alkaline water may result in a medical condition known as metabolic alkalosis.

Most common are erratic heart behavior, hypertension, nervousness/anxiety, urinary tract and bladder infections, and stabbing side pains.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! I love Dr. Mercola's website....but had never checked his opinion on alkaline water. I did read his recs. on an entire house water filtration system but don't recall him mentioning anything about alkaline water. Balance is always the answer!

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.

Thanks.