Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I am recently experiencing pain on the inside of my ankle.

I am recently experiencing pain on the inside of my ankle. I did not twist it or injure it, it just started to hurt. It hurts to touch it. There doesn't seem to be any swelling but once in a while I feel numbness in my leg and some pain further up in that leg as well. It hurts to walk on it but I can walk on it. Any idea what this could be? Thanks.

Associated redness,itching,skin discoloration on affected area?

Lower back pain?

What is your occupation?

Do you feel radiating numbness,pain in leg,ankle at certain positions?

Any history of arthritis?

Any other medical history?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No redness except in the area of the ankle that hurts. I have had lower back problems in the past but am under the care of a chiropractor and right now all seems well except my upper back. The radiating numbness and pain seems at it worst when sitting. No arthritis history. I had a kidney transplant 7 years ago and a heart attack 13 years ago. Other than that I'm pretty healthy. I take atenolol, prograf, mychophenolate, simvastatin, baby aspirin.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you have radiating numbness and pain in leg,ankle while at certain position so it suggests the possibility of Lumbar radiculopathy(the compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves).

However as the area around ankle is tender to touch and reddish so other possible causes may include Muscle strain,Tendonitis,Mild ankle osteoarthritis.

So you need to consult your regular doctor/Orthopedist for a clinical examination and if required your doctor may advise MRI/X-rays for further evaluation.

In the meantime you can take some self care measures like

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses.

Take OTC Motrin.

Wear Ankle brace for 5-7 days.

Elevate your leg.

If you develop skin discoloration,swelling,area warm to touch,severe pain then visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.