Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Hello, I have a question regarding sub-lingual intake of

I have a question regarding sub-lingual intake of medications, mainly in regards XXXXX XXXXX I have been prescribed xanax and/or klonopin for several years now and have only ever taken it orally. I recently read an article however pertaining to the benefits that sub-lingual administration can have.

Is it okay to take my dose of xanax this way? If so, would I have to crush it up before hand or can I just put the entire pill under my tongue.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long are you prescribed with xanax?

Do you have any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have taken Xanax for nearly 5 years but it wasn't until recently that we switched to klonopin. I just wanted to give another benzo a try since xanax's short half life was unfavorable at times and I was reading that a lot of people have had better experiences with klonopin and/or valium.

I've been taking klonopin for a little over two months now.

I don't have a medical illness aside from a mild social anxiety disorder. Additionally, I do not take benzos daily. I take them on an as-needed basis.

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,you can take xanax sub lingually.

Alprazolam belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).

When a chemical comes in contact with the mucous membrane beneath the tongue, it diffuses through it. Because the connective tissue beneath the epithelium contains a profusion of capillaries, the substance then diffuses into them and enters the venous circulation.

Yes,you can take xanax sub lingually.Dissolving sub lingually bypasses the liver process, and is in no way harmful.It appears that the sublingual use would be more effective in general.

So in my opinion,you can take it sub lingually.Also for better absorption,you can crush it & put it under your tongue.

Also let your doctor know that you are taking it sublingually.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did help and if you do not mind, I have one other inquiry. I have an appointment with my doctor on monday to see how I felt about the klonopin and I wanted to inquire about trying valium. A lot of people claim valium has a more calming effect as well as a more euphoric effect. Additionally, some claim it's the only benzo that has muscle relaxant properties.

As always though, there are people who disagree with these positive reviews of valium. Moreover, could you provide me with your professional opinion of valium?

Dear XXXXX,

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Valium (diazepam) is a benzodiazepine. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

Xanex is a shorter acting benzo and it's half life is like 11 hours. Half life is the time in which half that dose gets knocked out you and half the other dose stays.

Valiums half life can be up to 8 days.This long half life works in a way that it can take the minimum amount of a dose and have it remain in you without the need to take another one right away.

Both valium & xanax are in a class of benzodiazapines.Valium is also used for muscle spasms & has a sedative action.

So in my opnion,if you are having symptoms of muscle spasms,muscular pains & have sleep disorders,then valium is much better for you & you can ask your doctor for its prescription accordingly.Also it has long lasting effects thaen valium because of long half life period.

Hope this helped

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist