Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have a small knot under chin at the top of throat area.

I have a small knot under chin at the top of throat area. Should I be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have had a history of recent fever or recent infection?

Any recent fever?

Sore throat?
Is the knot painful or painless?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is painless. Last week I was fighting a head cold pretty much all week. My throat was a little sore. If I had a fever it was low grade. I have bronchiectasis so I take mucinex and dulera daily. I hate to take other medication on top of that so I pretty much just took motrin and would take shots of honey, cayanne pepper, and garlic powder :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Alesia,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The small painless knot under chin at the top of throat area you are having is suggestive of a enlarged lymph node.

Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain
bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.A biopsy and
culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the inflammation.

The lymph node has enlarged because of your recent infection/flu that has caused you cold symptoms,sore throat,mild fever.

Usually there is no need of treatment & the enlarged lymph node subside by its own within 5-7 days or as the infection gets cleared.

If still the symptoms persists,then you need examination by doctor & following tests may be done:

-Complete blood count(CBC)

-Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC)

-X-ray chest

-Throat swab test

Antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly if a bacterial infection is confirmed.So for now I advice you to wait & watch for the next few days so to see if the infection/flu gets cleared & accordingly the treatment will be done.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist