Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

The thyroid hormone levels and stress

At a time of stress in the past, my thyroid levels were checked and found a little low. I was put on meds, stayed on them for 10 years and then started having symptoms like very swollen sore joints and dry skin. I stopped taking the thyroxine and a year later my thyroid hormone levels were absolutely perfect. My new doctor said my body was functioning normally on its own. Yet when I had suggested stopping them before everyone said I had to stay on meds for the rest of my life. Now I've found out that stress can affect your hormone levels. So why do many medical people say that you must stay on thyroid medicine forever? If they don't try weaning people off how can they know if they really need them.? (I don't have the - i forget - Hashimotos?) Thanks. I really would like to know - promise it isn't a rant!

(As a side note, when I stopped the meds my joints stopped being painful and swollen, and my skin and hair seemed much healthier.)

Which medicines are you taking currently?

What it's dosage?

Do you have stress and anxiety issues?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No meds. I have lately had a lot of stress due to a situation.

Many people need thyroid medicine due to a temporary autoimmune flareup during puberty, postpartum, or menopause,stress etc.

These patients may not need to stay on thyroid medicine for the rest of their lives.

So i would suggest a refferal to a endocrinologist for your case so that you can be carefully weaned of your medication.

But is necessary to check your thyroid levels every 3-6 months to monitor the levels and to rule out further flareup.