Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

Ive been married to my husband for almost 5 years now. Wev

Customer Question

I’ve been married to my husband for almost 5 years now. We’ve been together for 9 years. Ever since his mother had passed away about 9-10 years ago, he has been gaining weight. For years, I’ve struggled with getting him to be healthier (eating, exercising, etc.) He has told me that he wants to lose weight. He’s not very confident and he would never take off his shirt on the beach or when we’re intimate. No, I’ve never seen him without his shirt! He’s been categorized as “obese” by a nutritionist because he’s 60-70 lbs overweight. Lately, he had been going to this trainer for a month (twice a week) and was actually enjoying the workouts and liked that he feels more confident, doesn’t get headaches and is thinking clearer. He was a bit more confident and seemed happier. I thought this would encourage him to keep working out but the training is expensive at $600 per month. So, he decided to do it himself at home since he knows what exercises he now needs to do. We even bought an elliptical, treadmill and weights so he can work out at home. Its been 2 weeks since and he’s only picked up the weights once. We’ve been fighting constantly over this issue for years now. We're in our late 30's and want to have children but I worry that he won’t be there for them among other health problems that he can develop. What can I do to encourage him? He said he’ll do the exercises on his own time and to allow him to do things his way. That’s the only way he’ll get things done. However, days, weeks and months will slip away and he doesn't do the exercies and continues to eat unhealthly. When he gets home from work, he will be on the computer all night. When he gets off the computer, he'll lay down on the bed and start snacking laying down! This goes on during the weekend too. Please help! I am concerned for his mental and physical health.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
Hi has your husband had any labs done? Like thyroid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, he hasn't been to the doctor for about 2 years now.

Ok
Well, he needs to get some basic labs done.
He needs to be tested for diabetes and for thyroid function.
No matter how much dieting you do or exercise, if he is hypothyroid, he will continue to gain weight and this can be very frustrating...
As well, they can help him come up with an appropriate meal and diet plan

hang in there
Hi did I provide you with excellent service?