Help4Health
Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

If you get a microdiscectomy and the surgeon does a hemi-laminectomy,

If you get a microdiscectomy and the surgeon does a hemi-laminectomy, is that a separate surgery or part of the microdiscectomy? Are they under any obligation to tell you after the mircrodiscectomy that they also performed a hemilaminectomy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Help4Health replied 1 year ago.

Help4Health :

Help4Health :

Can you please tell me, exactly which procedures were listed on the informed consent form signed?

Help4Health :

Thanks!

Help4Health :

Ben, R.N., J.D.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If our chat has ended how can I answer your question to me? The consent form was microdiscectomy. I found out about the hemilaminectomy from another doc and then confimred it with another MRI. I am very confused

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
This is very confusing. Where is the first answer?????????
Hello again Stephanie,
I am sorry for any frustration and apologize on account on what seems to be an issue with using the chat feature.
I am online and glad to answer your question. To confirm that my understanding is correct, are you saying you consented to under go a microdiscectomy, but later found out that during that procedure the surgeon also performed a hemilaminectomy. Is that right?
Once I hear back from you, I'll be able to post your answer.
Thanks again for your patience!
Ben
, R.N., J.D.
Hi there Stephanie,

Just touching base...my screen shows your status as "offline", but please rest assured I'll be very happy to interact with you at your convenience. I need to perform some computer maintenance myself, but you have my word I'll be back online again this afternoon/evening and will keep an eye out for any updated word from you.
Thanks!

Ben, R.N., J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

consent was for microdiscectomy. hemilaminectomy was performed too, but not noted in doc notes, surgical notes or after care. found out by accident getting injections for back pain and verified it with MRI. Doesn't a doc owe it to you to tell you what they did? Sure would have made a difference in my rehab.

Hello again Stephanie,
My name isXXXXX'm a registered nurse and licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.
Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.
My legal background includes health care law and medical malpractice litigation. My clinical background includes hospital risk management and surgical care. So, I can say with absolute certainty and no hesitation whatever, the answer to your question is "yes". A surgeon is definitely under such an obligation, and failing in that regard raises logical cause for serious concern.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I truly hope all works out for you.
Take care,
Ben, R.N., J.D.
Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Hello Stephanie,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, R.N., J.D.