Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Need an expect

Need an expect
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.
Hi danny gee ; thank you for asking your question today.

-Could you tell me what problem do you have , what symptoms you have been experiencing and what you have tried to alleviate your symptoms ?

Thank you again for trusting me with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi doc.
I find it difficult when trying to swallow my saliva. Inside my mouth is dry so when am trying to swallow saliva I feel like choking.

Could you tell me if you have been taking some medications and what medications ?

Do you have any additional symptoms like dry eyes , stomach pain, chest burning sensation and /or chest pain ?

When did you begin to experience these symptoms ,few days ago or the symptoms have been present for months ?

Are you anxious person or do you have a great tendency to worry a lot about things ?

Have you experienced some traumatic event or injury recently ?

Have you lost weight recently?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other symptoms
Taken nugel , antibiotics, vitamins c.

I suffer from anxiety.
Feel like a lump in my throat. Started to experience this just today.
If this is something that happened just today , there is no need to worry .

You could buy an over the counter saliva substitute like Optimoist , Mouthkote, Xero-Lube artificial saliva , or Moi-Stir , they are many more , you can get them in your local pharmacy and they come in spray solutions.

You should also drink plenty of water , at least 8 glasses of water per day.

Avoid consuming candies , meals with a lot of sugar ,caffeinated beverages ,drinking alcohol ,smoking and alcohol mouthwashes .

Some foods like carrot and celery could help with saliva production to alleviate the dryness and reduce the sensation of having a lump in your throat .

These simple things should help a lot so you can feel better.

If your symptoms persist more than 5- 7 days or you experience additional symptoms like shortness of breath, breathing problems or you can not swallow things properly . You should consult your primary care physician to determine if there is an underlying medical condition involved like : depression, anxiety , pharynx mass or an autoimmune disorder like Sjogren syndrome in which the immune cells mistakenly attack or destroy the eye tear duct glands or salivary glands .

You could also get sugarless gum or sugar free candy ,this also increases salivary production so you can swallow better and maintain a bottle of water next to you and sip small amounts of water through the day .

Sorry if I did not send the answer sooner, I lost the internet connection for some time.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any thing serious and life threatening here?
No ,this does not look life threatening specially if you have been experiencing these symptoms only for one day .

Do not worry , this does not look dangerous .

However , if you experience additional symptoms like shortness of breath , dizziness or breathing difficulty, you must go to the emergency .