Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi Dr. Arun: Hope you received payment for all of the answers

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Arun:
Hope you received payment for all of the answers you gave Andy.Please let me know.
I would like you to know that this is not psychological it is real. I had a terrible pain on the left side of my head and I had to go to the emergency clinic - the doctors there are very caring and knowledgeable and interested in the patient not the money - I had a good doctor and he told me that I have Shingles nerve pain - if I had small pox as a child that I would get that what one thing has to do with the other I don't know, but he gave me a nerve pain pill as well as a pill for a virus. Today is two days but the pain is still very bad, today he gave me some tylenol and codene will try it tonight and see if it works, but I am really in a lot of pain. Please, please let me know if you were paid. Thanks.
'Stella
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Stella.

I was paid. Thanks for all you have been doing.

I am so sorry about your severe headache. Shingles can present without a rash occasionally. The shingles virus is same as the chicken pox virus. It stays in the body without causing any symptoms and in the 6th or 7th decade of life may cause Shingles. The other possibilities of diagnosis in your case can be;

1) Occipital neuralgia
2)
Nervus intermedius neuralgia
3) Trigeminal neuralgia
4) Giant cell arteritis (GCA), also known as temporal arteritis or cranial arteritis
5) Migraine
6) Cluster headache

Medications like carbamazepine, pregabalin, gabapentin may help. MRI, I hope must have been done, which is essential to rule our / diagnose the various issues. Following work up, if not yet done would also be advised;

1) visual field testing;
2) erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP)
3) MRI with Gadolinium contrast
4) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA).

Chronic daily headache is not a type of headache but frequent headaches of various kinds. Most people with chronic daily headache have migraine or tension-type headache as the underlying type of headache. Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this also would be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Migraine headaches are the second most common type of primary headache. Cluster headaches are a rare type primary headache. There are other causes of headache also;

1) sinus headache

2) Medication overuse headache

3) Post trauma headache; occur after injury or accident.

4) Secondary headache

It is a great privilege assisting you. You have been very caring about everything. I am very fortunate to know you and Andy.

Dr. Arun