Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

How much can my body recover after 6 months in an abusive relationship?

How much can my body recover after 6 months in an abusive relationship? It is stress, lack of sleep, lack of many of my usual foods, some dry air from air conditioning, but mostly stress, diet, lack of sleep, have left me feeling very ill. My skin has dried out a lot, my hair is feeling dry and lackluster and I think I have lost a bit more than normal, my weight has gone down to 130 from 138 and my muscle tone is nonexistant, though I have tried to exercise, use weights, etc. My skin on my arms, hands and legs is just very dry and crosshatch looking. I am leaving very very soon, but this all depresses me more. I was looking quite well, youthful with some glow when I came here. My face and eyelids have swollen at times, and when I try to drink a lot more water that gets better. Also when I went in a dry sauna a few times I thought my skin looked much better. Thank you. I will go back to my usual diet, I avoid the sun, but how well can the body recover. I

Greetings Lori.

I am very sorry about all you have undergone in last six months.

In all likelihood, you should completely recover once the stress is over and you would come out of this relationship. Stress and anxiety can cause all these symptoms which you had enumerated including absence of period for long duration. Stress caused by psychological issues affect our body hormones which in turn affect the skin texture, body metabolism, appetite, sleep etc. So once stress is eliminated, gradually everything would recover back to normal. Following measures can help;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh my gosh. Thank you doctor. You don't know what your words mean to me tonight. I am leaving very soon and you give me great hope. Do you really think the body can heal, even at my age? 48? Thank you. I have tried my best to keep eating healthy when I can, and take suppliments, drink green tea, etc. and some exercise.

You are very welcome, Lori.

I assure you, you would be back to normal, gradually. This is recoverable and you would regain everything. Just relax. Exercises would help. Following would help;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.
2) Ginkgo Biloba
3) Zinc 30 mg.

4) Fresh fruits and juices.

It is privilege assisting you.