Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

LIGHT HEADED AND DIZZY. FEEL LIKE A ROCK IS SITTING ON MY CHEST.

LIGHT HEADED AND DIZZY. FEEL LIKE A ROCK IS SITTING ON MY CHEST. BP NORMAL OR I SHOULD SAY CONTROLLED WITH ATENOLOL 100MG AND ANOTHER THAT CONTAINS 50MG OF LOSARTAN POTASSIUM/12.5MG OF HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE. TROUBLE WITH GI SO I TAKE LANSOPRAZOLE 30MG DAILY. I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PANIC ATTACKS ALTHOUGH I FEEL PERFECTLY CALM AS I WRITE THIS EVEN WITH A DIZZY HEAD AND A KNOT IN MY CHEST THAT I AM SURE IS ME NOT BEING ABLE TO RELAX. I HAVE BEEN CHECKED OUT ON AN EKG RECENTLY AND TOLD I WAS FINE AFTER BLOOD TEATS ON KIDNEY, LIVER, AND LIPIDS. MY TRYGLYCERIDES WERE THE ONLY ABNORMAL EXCEPT FOR MY HDL BEING CLOSE TO 60 DUE TO MY DIET OF FISH EGGS AND VEGGIES. I WORK OUT AVIDLY, 3-6 TIMES A WEEK LIFTING WEIGHTS AND RUNNING. FUNNY HOW I FEEL PERFECTLY NORMAL WHILE WORKING OUT??????? i AM 49, SMOKE NONE, 2 SOMETIMES 3 CIGARETTES A DAY AND DRINK BEER 3-4 TIMES A WEEK MOSTLY ONLY A FEW EXCEPT ON WEEKENDS CARRIED AWAY, BUT NOT A HABIT, TAKES TOO LONG TO RECOVER FROM THAT NOW DAYS. THERE YOU GO, I LIVE AND WORK IN EGYPT IS WHY AM AM ASKING A 2ND OPINION FROM THE HOMELAND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Since when have you felt dizzy and lightheaded? And since when have you felt the knot in your chest?

Have you seen a doctor since you have felt the knot in your chest?

Do you have any difficulty in swallowing ?

Do you have acid reflux, even after the Zantac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT STARTED SATURDAY. THE ROCK JUST STARTED YESTERDAY. IT GOES AWAY WHEN I EXERCISE. I HAVE TALKED TO THE DOCTOR AND HE SAID IT MAY BE MY BP MEDS OR GASTRIC IRRITATIONS. THE ZANTAC IS A TEMPORARY FIX THAT HELPS ME SLEEP COMFORTABLE. MOST OF THE DAYS BEFORE TODAY I FEL PERFECTLY FINE IN THE MORNING IT SETS IN IN THE AFTERNOON AN HOUR OR SO AFTER LUNCH..

George.

While it is quite likely that teh feeling of a rock on your chest could be due to a panic attack or due to esophagus spasms from acid reflux, it is also possible to be due to a mild heart attack. the symptoms of a heart attack are the ones you describe - lightheadedness and the feeling of tightness of the chest or of a rock on the chest.

Since the feeling goes away when you exercise, it is possibke that it is due to muscular spasm.

But since you have a history of high blood pressure (although controlled) and abnormal trigllycerides, you really need to get this checked out at the earliest to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANK YOU I WILL TALK TO MY DOCTOR HERE AND ASK HIM TO CHECK IT OUT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, BUT I AM AFRAID THESE PANIC ATTACKS OR MUSCLE SPASMS ARE GOING TO KILL ME ONE DAY BECAUSE I DO IGNORE THEM MOSTLY AND IT TOOK A LOT OF VISITS TO THE HOSPITAL AND MEDICATION TO GET IT UNDER CONTROL. IT IS EMBARRASSING MOST OF THE TIME BECAUSE THEY LOOK AT ME LIKE I AM A HYPO C. I JUST HATE THIS FEELING AND NOBODY CAN MAKE IT GO AWAY?????

The management of generalised anxiety disorder and panic attacks will need the help of a mental health specialist,preferably a Psychiatrist.Managing such conditions will include medication like SSRI antdepressants drugs such as Venlafaxine /Sertaline along with anxiolytic drugs like Clonazepam/lorazepam.The light headedness,dizziness,chest heaviness and other similar symptoms may be secondary to the acute anxiety.Counselling and psychotherapy when combined with drug therapy produces the best results.Cognitive behavioural Therapy and biofeedback techniques have also been used successfully.Proper therapy under a expert will result in gradual normalisation of symptoms within a couple of months.Regular exercise and abstaining from smoking and alcohol will give the best results.Support of friends and family will help.Since your hypertension is controlled and you have no serious systemic disease,the anxiety and panic attacks need to be treated thoroughly.Approaching a good Psychiatrist will definitely help sort out these problems for you.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

BUT CAN I FIND A GOOD ONE IN ALEXANDRIA EGYPT???????

George,

Seeing a psychiatrist would help in the long run but you need to get the feeling of a rock on the chest evaluated as early as possible - if this is due to a heart problem, you need to be treated at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

In Alexandria, you can contact:

Dr. Manal El Daghar
Address: 25 El Andalous St. Off Lagetteh St.
El Ibrahimeya, Alexandria
Phone Number: 03-5905175, 0100-6313619

OR

Dr. Anwar Basta El Hariry
Address: 28 Shedia St.
El Ibrahimeya, Alexandria
Phone Number: 03-5922162

I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Symptoms of a crushing sensation of the chest,heaviness of the chest can be evaluated by a Cardiac Stress Test to rule out any myocardial ischaemia ,a upper GI endoscopy will help rule out any GERD/Oesophagitis or gartic ulcer which may result in this rock like sensation of the chest.Feeling of dread,impending doom,chest pains ,pain abdomen,dizziness,light headeness,nausea,agitation,irritability,restlessness are all known to occur in Generalised Anxiety Syndrome.Adequate management of this problem will result in a huge shift in your life towards normalisation.
You will find good psychiatrist all over the world including Egypt,your PCP/physician can usually refer you to a good and experienced psychiatrist.