A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What is the optimal reading for a healthy blood sugar level

What is the optimal reading for a healthy blood sugar level for a man above 60years ie what high and low levels are tolerable.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you.

Normal level of blood glucose for adults ranges from 70 to 99 mg/dL (3.9-5.9 mmol/L). From 100 to 125 mg/dL (6.0-7.0)is considered impaired fasting glucose (some people call it "pre-diabetes") and 126 mg/dL (7.1 mmol/L) and above is diabetes. Everyone's blood glucose will rise after a meal and normal levels 2 hours after a meal should be no more than 135-140 mg/dL (8.0-8.9 mmol/L).

A blood glucose reading below 40 mg/dL (2.2 mmol/L) needs immediate attention since the person may lose consciousness. This is a medical emergency. Above 180-200 mg/dL (about 10-11 mmol/L) the kidneys can no longer reabsorb glucose and it spills into the urine.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler