A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

Goodday Doc Please tell me the meaning of the following: 1.

Customer Question

Goodday Doc
Please tell me the meaning of the following:
1. Stevia
2. Splenda
3. Molasses
4. Macadamia Nut
5. Sunflower oil
6. Pinto bean
7. Gluten
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

stevia is a natural sweetener also purported to have weight loss benefits. YOU MAY READ ABOUT IT HERE.

911Doctor :

Splenda is an artificial sweetener, aka sucralose.... it is made in a lab and there is controversy about whether it may have some bad long term effects thought the data is sparse.

911Doctor :

Molasses is a natural sweetener and part of the refining process of cane sugar. This link here is helpful.

911Doctor :

Macadamia nuts are delicious, to start with, and are produced for the US mainly in Hawaii. They can have a benefit in lowering cholesterol but are high in monounsaturated fat. THIS LINK IS HELPFUL.

911Doctor :

Sunflower oil is made from processed sunflower seeds. It has health benefits similar to macadamia nut. Here is a good summary for you.

911Doctor :

Pinto beans originated in South America and have the health benefits listed here. They are high in fiber and protein and very healthy to eat.

911Doctor :

Gluten is found naturally in many grains, particularly wheat. Some people are sensitive to it... they have what is best described as an allergy to gluten, and must eliminate it from their diet so as not to have stomach upset and diarrhea. Here is a good link on Gluten.

911Doctor :

I am standing by if you have any questions for me.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah Doc, I ve got more....

1. Lettuce red leaf

2. Preservative mix

3. Swiss chard

4. Millet

5. Squash

6. zuchinni

7, Pine nut

8. Mustard

9. Sorbitol

10. Turnip

11. String Bean

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I will be happy to answer the rest, but I have fully answered your first question. This is not only a second question, but an eleven part question. If you wish to continue with me please leave positive feedback on my first response. if you do not wish to continue please opt out of the original question.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a member and thought can ask as many questions as possible...so I dont understand your statement

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

You can ask as many as you like, but each question stands on it's own. In other words, the experts choose questions based on many things, but usually based on how much the question is worth and how much detail and work is required to answer it, in this case my portion of your first question would be $12.50, but I do not receive that money unless and until you leave positive feedback on the question. So from the expert's standpoint, the original question was worth $12.50, but with your additional question it's worth much less due to the extra time and research involved. Make sense?

Best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Understand. However, if I 'rate to finish', who will answer my other questions...other experts?

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

you can simply rate the positive feedback on the first response, then we can continue here.

best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you now answer the questions.....?

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

RED LEAF LETTUCE. Very nutritious, and high in beta carotene. Better than 'iceberg' lettuce nutritionally.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'preservative mix' but, given the previous questions this is probably asking about food preservatives. There are many, some benign, some maybe not so benign. This link here is a good general summary.

SWISS CHARD is one of the world's most nutritious vegetables, but I must confess I have neither eaten it nor heard of it prior to your question.

Millet is a small grain often used as bird seed but nutritious for humans as well.

Squash comes from a rind... it is widely used here in the US as a tasty and nutritious vegetable.

Zucchini is a type of squash, 'summer squash', and is used in a similar fashion in cooking. It is quite nutritious though I personally do not like the taste.

Pine nuts are from certain pine trees. They are seeds of the tree. They are very nutritious, and, in fact, some Native American Indian tribes of the desert southwest based their entire lifestyle around getting and harvesting and trading the pine nut.

Mustard is a food flavoring made from the mustard seed. We use it a lot here in the US, it has the health benefits listed but is not, usually, considered a primary food item.

Sorbitol is a sugar-alcohol and is found both naturally occurring and can be manufactured. It is not as sweet as sugar, and the manufactured form is often used as a thickening agent in various food products.

A TURNIP is a root vegetable, it looks much like an onion but is much different in taste. It is often used as a nutritious addition to stews and soups in both America and Europe and throughout the world.

A STRING BEAN is also known as a GREEN BEAN and is widely consumed throughout the world and is rich in anti-oxidants. It is quite nutritious. 'String Bean' is a regional term for green been, referring to its thin, string-like appearance.

If you have more questions I am happy to continue in this conversation with the understanding that we reached above.

Thank you very much for your business.

Best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know the cause of peeled dried lips

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to answer your question. 911 Doctor has opted out because you did not accept and rate his last answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

There are many causes of dry lips:

1. Dehydration

2. Licking the lips

3. Deficiency of vitamin B2

4. Overexposure to wind and sun

5. Medical conditions like cheilosis

6. Smoking

7. Allergic reactions

Your dermatologist can determine what the cause of the dryness and peeling is.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I recently complained about oily face and arocutane tablets were recommended. Could it be the cause?

The question was about dry lips. I can discuss oily skin after the dry lips question is accepted with a positive rating.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

If you are referring the Accutane (isotretinoin), it is used to treat and prevent severe cases of extreme acne. It would be unusual for anyone to prescribe it for a simple case of oily skin. It decreases oil production in the skin, and can lead to extreme dry skin, lips, nose, etc. It can result in cheilitis (inflammation of the lips, especially at the corners of the mouth where sores can form). If the dryness and peeling are severe, your dermalologist may suggest decreasing the dosage or stopping it altogether.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I wrote to justanswer about my oily face and one expert recommended acutane to be used for 6 months. And immediately I
began using it, I experience dryness in my lips. Now do I stop using it?

That would be best. Accutane is a serious drug with some significant side effects and should only be used under medical supervision. Most specialists will want to see you at intervals of a couple of weeks when beginning it to check how you are responding to it. If extreme dryness develops, they will decrease the strength, use it every other day, or stop it altogether for a few weeks to have your skin recover. For simple oily skin (versus full-blown acne), it is like shooting a rabbit with a cannon.

For the majority of people, there are over the counter facial washes and ointments that are adequate without the severe side effects.

Best regards,

Schuyler

By the way, the one I recommend is Olay Professional Prox clear. It is a 3-step program of pore clarifying cleanser, ointment, and a serum to fade spots and maintain moisture without adding oil. All the products are clear so guys can use it as well as women. If is especailly made for adult skin. Your drug store should have it or you can order it online from most retainers (amazon.com, drugstore.com, etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. Can I confirm the drug name? .....OLAY PROFESSIONAL PROX CLEAR! Right? Is it a cream? In actual fact, the expert also recommended Retin - a- cream. What is your advice?

Retin-A cream is another name for isotretinoin/Accutane.

You have the name correct. The Olay system consists of three things that you use twice a day.

1. A tube of clarifying pore cleanser you use to wash your face.

2. A tube of non-greasy ointment that you apply after cleansing that contains mild drying agents and things to keep bacteria down so you don't get break-outs.

3. A clear serum that acts as a non-oily moisturizer. It just replaces whatever you currently use on your face.

I'm not affiliated with Olay, but I do use their products and recommend them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How many days do I use it to notice the positive effects...and by the way is there any side effects?

The only side effect would be too much drying of the skin if you have sensitive skin, or anyone can be allergic to one of the ingredients. Allergy would show up as itching and redness. In that case you would stop the Olay and wash your face with something mild like Cetaphil and put nothing else on it. However, most skin that is oily is not sensitive.

Like any regimen, it can take a month at least to see a difference. The lifetime of a skin cell from the interior to the outside is about 90 days, so maximum benefit would be seen then in about 3 months.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ve been to drugstore.com. What I saw among others was...olay professional pro-x type uv moisturizer. Is that the drug?

That is one step - the moisturizer.

Here is the entire 3-piece kit at amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Professional-Pro-X-Clear-Protocol/dp/B004UDRUJW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1361833704&sr=8-11&keywords=olay+pro-x It's a little less expensive to buy the kit the first time, than to buy each piece of the regimen separately. People use things at different rates, and it may make more sense to replace each piece of the protocol as you are getting low on it. For instance, you may run out of face cleanser before you run out of the ointment or the moisturizer. Each person is different.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

You're so very welcome! Smile

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nurse

Can I ask you a ques?

Surely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ve got some vitamin tablets that I use and they are as listed: Vit E; Vit B; Vit D; B12; B Complex; Fish Oil; Calcium; Garlic; Selenium ACE;Iron; Magnesium Citrate; Zinc. I use them, all of them, once a day and at the same time. I just want to ask...Is this usage ok?

As long as you follow the package directions for each of them, it is okay to use them all each day. That sounds like a big handful of tablets and capsules. Just be careful not to get choked on them.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards,

Schuyler