A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

How much does it cost to sequence an individual human genome?

How much does it cost to sequence an individual human genome? When will the price be around $1000 or less?

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

According to the National Genome Sequencing Institute, which keeps tabs on such costs, the current cost (latest figures available October 2012) is slightly over $6,600. That is down from over $95 million dollars in early 2001. There is no scientific way to predict when it will be below $1,000. The drop in cost has not been straight line, and it has even increased quarter-to-quarter on occasion. For instance the lowest cost in 2012 was $5,901. The 2012 range was $5901 to $7,666 with the latest being just over $6,600. In 2011 it went from $20,963 to $7,743. It is hoped that it will be under $2500 by the end of the decade, but that depends on developing technology, which is unpredictable.

Kind regards,