Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

My kid seems to have LD and she just turned 9years old is there

My kid seems to have LD and she just turned 9years old is there anything urgently I need to teach to get stayed to 4th grade after the summer vacation.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

I am sorry that you have waited for an answer!

You mention that your child 'seems' to have a learning disability. What have you noticed? Do they seem to try hard at certain school tasks but still have problem getting a good grade?

Typically, the first step in diagnosing a learning disability is to see a pediatrician so that vision or hearing problems can be ruled out. If every thing is fine there, then a psychologist or learn disability specialist should be seen so that specific tests can be given in order to find out specifically what type of LD is present.

Once the specific LD is diagnosed, then a treatment plan can be developed which will help the child to develop their particular strengths and work on their weaknesses.

Sometimes a tutor is necessary for certain subjects, and as well, depending on the type of LD there are of course things that you will be able to help your child with at home.

Please reply and let me know if you have more details about the LD, if your child has yet been tested, etc. I am happy to assist you with this issue until you are satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need ASAP to test her because some article said too late after 9years old. So could you supply me how how to test what kind of LD she has by internet since I am in Japan, Thank you Susan,

There is no way to evaluate her for what type of LD she has over the internet. She needs to see a pediatrician (a medical doctor) first to rule out any other health problems first, and then in order to find out what type of LD she has, she will need to see a professional (usually a clinical psychologist, or an LD specialist that works along with the clinical Psychologist) to have the proper testing to determine what type of LD she has. One cannot figure out the LD without working with the child to see where they are having problems.

Also, it is not true that it is too late for there to be any help for your 9 year old. But, her future years in school may be much better once she gets proper evaluation and it is discovered in which areas and in which ways she needs to be help.

Has she seen a pediatrician yet? This is your first step. Then, if the doctor agrees that there is nothing medically or physically wrong, the doctor should be able to refer you to a psychologist for testing.

If for some reason the doctor does not know where to refer your daughter, then Is your daughter in an English speaking school? If so, you should be able to talk to the teacher or other school official to get a referral to a psychologist that can evaluate you child.

Let me know if you still have questions. IF your daughter has made it through school ok so far, this is a good sign that she will do well with some help.

Again, please reply if you still have a question about this.
Thank you. Feel free to let us know how things work out. With a mother so supportive, your daughter is likely to do well once she receives the right help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she has seen pediatrician and she has hearling problem but she started to put hearling aid from this year so others

has no other problem, she tells me Jenny Bee Johnes is still hard for her to read and understand, with IOWA tests her score was really low except math was soso.

Do you know any where we can see LD experts to test her in Tokyo? Please help me Susan

Hi sorry for the delay. My computer was down. I will see what I can find for you. Please give me some time, as I will be at another job today, so it will be later tonight (or within 24 hours that I get back to you)