Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

I have a dime sized red blotch that appears on my upper right

I have a dime sized red blotch that appears on my upper right arm. There is a tiny red dot that I believe to be a capillary in the spot that is always there, but the red blotchiness underneath it comes and goes. Sometimes it's small and sometimes it's dime sized like it is right now. It doesn't hurt or itch and I believe it's blood under the skin, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

When did you first noticed this spot?

Whats the shape of the spot?

Any history of allergy?

Are you taking any medicines?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I first noticed this spot about 4 or 5 years ago. It's a tiny circular red dot. The blotchiness around it is also circular, but not perfectly so as it's not bright enough to have a clearly defined boundary.

I do have allergies, but I don't know if this is related. I also have sensitive skin, but that's mainly on my face, neck and chest area.

The only medication I am taking is birth control.

I've been doing a lot of research and it doesn't look like psoriasis or eczema. I do have keratosis pilaris, but that's mainly on the back of my arms and this is more on the side.

Also, I'm 26 years old, not 16. Just realized my age was wrong.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

The most likely cause of the bright red spot on your arm is cherry angioma.

It is benign lesion formed by a proliferation of dilated venules.It usually does not require any treatment.

However, as you have keratosis pillaris as well so it is possible that this red spot may also represent a blood disorder which is causing this spot to appear. Therefore, a visit to the dermatologist would be recommended in order to diagnose this properly.

If it is not a cherry angioma, then you may require a blood work up to determine if you have a bleeding disorder causing this spot to manifest.
You can apply Topical Heparin ointment as well.

Also start a multivitamin supplement.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I take a multivitamin daily.

What kind of blood disorder would cause a spot like that to appear? I don't get spots like this anywhere else on my body, just in this one place.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Sometimes blood disorder like Thrombocytopenia can result in such spots.

However as in your case,it's located on one place so chances of such condition is less likely.

As it is not hurting.itching and doesn't increase in size over the last few years so it is benign in nature.

In case you develop any new spot or if it's growing in size then consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM