Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have pain in my lower back left side and is more painful when I try to stand up from sit

I have pain in my lower back left side and is more painful when I try to stand up from sitting position. It then takes me quite a few minutes to be able to walk upright again.
I had pleurisy recently and Doctor advised I may have hurt my back from constant coughing. That was in December and my back is still sore
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

It sounds like you may have irritated a nerve in your lower back or maybe even herniated a disc from all the coughing. Sometimes people have slightly herniated discs that they really don't know about and then when they move the wrong way or strain that area, it flares up because the nerves get irritated or the disc pushes into the spinal column. Also, degenerative disc disease can cause one-sided back pain as well. If you have never been diagnosed with having back problems, you may want to get a lower back xray and possibly a MRI of the lumbar spine to see exactly what is going on.

In the meantime, if you can take something like Advil or Aleve (Ibuprofen) or any anti-inflammatory medication and this will help reduce the inflammation in the area. Also, try to avoid sitting or standing or lying in one position for too long. (especially try to avoid sitting for longer than 30 minutes at a time without getting up and moving around). The heat is ok but you can also alternate it with ice and see if that helps too.

This could also be a form of arthritis in the SI joints or other region of the lower back. The Advil or other anti-inflammatory will help with this as well.

Usually, episodes of back pain like this are self-limiting and only last a few weeks if you continue to take care of yourself. However, if your back pains gets worse or you start to develop any new symptoms like pain that goes down the leg or any tingling or numbness in the leg or foot, let your Dr know so they can get you in for the imaging.

Reply back if I can help further....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can stand ok but cannot sit or bend over. It is very painful when I stand up from the sitting position. Which medication would assist me best. The Advil or Aleve and how soon before I would notice an improvement.

Yes it's changing positions that is the worst. Either the Advil or the Aleve would be fine. Both are anti-inflammatory drugs so they work the same way.

If using anti-inflammatories and being careful with the back (no lifting, twisting or bending) and doing the other at-home measures that I mentioned earlier, you should be feeling better within a week. If not, you'll probably need to see your dr for a physical exam and a X-ray at the least.