Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Hi. Can anyone tell me the least expensive med for IBS? My

Hi. Can anyone tell me the least expensive med for IBS? My doc wants me to try something called Levsin but it's 36.00 for 30 tabs which is alot. Thanks
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today

some people can get away with just taking Metamucil...but it all depends on what type of symptoms you are trying to control. Are you trying to control spasms or diarrhea or which ones in particular?
I will go ahead and answer in case you didn't get my last information request....

Bentyl is a bit cheaper than Levsin. You may wish to ask your Dr about prescribing that one (generic of course). Also, I don’t know if you have tried adding fiber supplements or mild laxatives like Milk of Magnesia (if you have constipation) but these help also (and are cheap). The more ‘normal’ you keep your bowel tract, the less you will need the smooth muscle relaxants like Levsin and Bentyl. Also, stress reduction as well as taking antidepressants have been shown to GREATLY help with IBS. Since the cause of IBS is not fully understood, symptom control is basically the gold standard. Also, along with stress reduction, diet is key also…avoid triggers like alcohol, wheat cereals, caffeine, fatty foods, vegetables like broccoli and beans (that cause cramps and gas), as well as foods and drinks that contain artificial sweeteners.

Consuming probiotics, eating smaller meals-more often during the day (large meals can cause cramps and diarrhea and the need for medication), drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day, and consuming more fiber.

Alternative help include taking supplements such as acidophilus and lactobacillus, two to three times per day (has been shown to help) and these are cheap.

So sometimes, just a few modifications in the diet can make MAJOR changes and almost eliminate the need for the anti-spasmotics on a daily basis (which in turns saves you money).

Reply back if I can help futher….
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there! Thanks for the request for more information.

Unless you've been examined (and even had a colonoscopy), IBS may not be what's going on here.

Pain or a gnawing feeling in the upper right quadrant could be related to gallstones, liver problems such as Hepatitis or even a gastric ulcer. Many patients describe their ulcers as being a gnawing type of feeling.

So yes, unless you've been officially diagnosed with IBS, it could be something else. And actually even if you have been diagnosed with IBS, you could still have these other issues as well (on top of the IBS).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

liver enzymes were fine. just had blood work.high anion gap(?)

what tests should my doc be running now?

would nexium help if this is ulcer?Thanks!

If you've not had an Ultrasound of the abdomen, that would be a great place to start with concentration on the right upper quadrant.

Nexium is used in conjunction with antibiotics for peptic/gastric ulcers caused by H. Pylori. Used alone it will not help if the ulcer is caused by H. Pylori (a bacteria that can cause ulcers).

Interesting that you mentioned a high anion gap...this can signify kidney problems which can lead to what is called metabolic acidosis and this as well can cause abdominal pain. Unless your dr feels that the high anion gap is insignificant (all other blood work related to the kidneys is fine), I would also revisit that high lab value to make sure there's no clinical significance there.