Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I am planning on taking diazepam on a daily basis as i have

I am planning on taking diazepam on a daily basis as i have had enough of my anxiety (have had it for 10 years) Also as i am only 23 i like to drink with my friends some weekends, i know you really shouldnt drink on diazepam and i wont. But, can you drink on it if you havent taken any that day? or would there still be too much in your system to drink any alcohol because i will be taking it everyday at 5mg morning, 5mg evening? Many Thanks
I am aware of how addictive etc benzos are i just need someone to help me with the interaction with alcohol?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

The main issue with alcohol and benzo's is the intensification of the drugs effects. Consuming alcohol while not taking a benzodiazapine is 'ok' but if you consume while taking the Valium you can expect excessive sedation, depressed heart and lung function and possibly death (in larger doses and higher alcohol consumption). But back to your direct question....as long as you are not taking the Valium on the day you consume alcohol, there should be no dramatic interactions...just don't overconsume alcohol because the half life (the amount of time for the dosage of the valium to be cut in half) is 20-80 hours. So if you take a Valium..say, on Friday morning and you go have some drinks on a Saturday night, you will still have the medication in your system. Not as strong as when you first took it, but the residual...meaning, watch your alcohol intake and be responsible.

Let me know if I can help further....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for your response.

Just to be sure, i am talking about taking the diazepam on a long term basis everyday and by that i mean for years as its the only thing that works for me. Is that still ok to drink alcohol....i was thinking if i knew i was going to drink on saturday night i could not take any on friday or saturday and then resume the day after drinking?

Yes, that sounds like a safer plan. I commend you for at least asking about the side effects before just jumping off into the bottle. Just know the more time you put between the medication and the alcohol the better. But even with the time you have described, your body will still have the medication on board....not as much, but some. So, just don't over due it on the alcohol...drink in moderation.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

What constitutes to drinking in moderation? Because i often drink around 5-6 pints of beer on a night out. I assume that is too much?

Yes, that is a bit much. I would stick to around 2-3 drinks. 5-6 pints is considered binge drinking and that in itself is not good for your health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just a side thought...if i stopped taking it a few days before and after drinking would that not cause withdrawal symptoms due to suddenly stopping?

Depends on your dose and how long you've been taking the medication. How long of a time span are we talking about for having taken it then coming off of it and what is the dosage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i havent started taking them yet...i will be soon. I am planning on taking 5-10mg a day. I plan to take them daily for quite a few years....

5-10mg's is a usual dosage for anxiety and is not that unusual. If you have taken them daily (with the exception of weekends), after about 5-6 months, you will have some withdrawal symptoms. And of course, the longer you take them, the more pronounced the withdrawal symptoms will be and the longer it will take to come off of them when you do decide to.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)