Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

The swelling is prominent near the left buttock area and under

The swelling is prominent near the left buttock area and under anus. Could it be an anal abscess?
Welcome back and thank you for requesting me to answer your question.I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Is the lump tender?
Does it hurt on touching?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

The lump would be secondary to a Perianal abscess or a rectal abscess.A perianal abscess is infection of the soft tissue near and around the anus which originate from the anus.The discrete abscess cavity varies in depth and severity ,it is usually initiated in the anal canal as a infection of the anal glands.This infection usually spreads towards the nearby soft tissues creating a fistula or a track. The end of the tract will form an abscess or may open out as a small fistula opening which may discharge foul smelling discharge.This needs to be examined by your PCP/Proctocologist who may proceed with a proctoscopy and a CT scan to visualise the extent and depth of the underlying abscess.The abscess and any fistula/track thus found will have to be surgically excised to cure the condition.Surgery is the only option as conservative therapy will not eliminate the infection or the abscess.Use of antibiotics and analgesics will aid the healing which may take some weeks.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice