Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

i am 48, lost about 15 pounds or more due to extreme stress,

i am 48, lost about 15 pounds or more due to extreme stress, then gain 5, lost 5 and now when i lay on my side it is like my skin on my stomach hangs over and looks so scary and awful. I am exercising, weigh 130 and am 5 foot 8. can it get better? or am i stuck with it. it is really upsetting to me right now. thank you.
(I am willing to exercise hard, etc whatever i could do)
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Sometimes fast weight loss or extreme weight loss can cause this sagging skin to occur. Exercise will help to some degree but it will only do so much. Your best bet is to have it surgically removed if it is bothering you to the point of stressing you out and causing a disturbed body image. Muscle and fat is much more easily manipulated through body sculpting exercise than the skin itself. It can be a very frustrating situation. Exercise burns fat and tones won't burn skin or tone skin per se... it can tone what's under the skin but not necessarily the skin itself. However, ab workouts might tighten up your abdominal muscles enough for it to not show as badly. But again, for more dramatic - permanent results, you'll most likely have to have the skin taken up a bit (depending on exactly how much skin is involved).

Reply back if I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. thanks. surgery is just not something, at least now, i would consider. to me it is far too invasive, but what if i gain back some weight slowly, say 5-10 pounds while exercising and doing toning? even if it got somewhat better i would be happier.

I totally understand. Surgery is usually what I call "last resort" on many things. Of course, if it's a necessary medical approach, that is one thing, but optional surgery is just not worth it sometimes.

I do think if you gained a little bit of weight back, you may notice a big difference in the way the skin looks. I think ab toning (either done at home or at the gym) and the slight weight gain might be more of what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks so much. any advice on what to eat to gain the weight. I eat sardines a lot, salmon, turkey burgers sometimes, greens, blueberries, yogurt, and oatmeal. i dont eat much bread or pasta- i just feel like that is mostly sugar and i think my body doesn't like wheat so much.

also , can i type your name in the question bar and ask you another health question?

Carbs will make you 'feel' bloated so you might want to avoid those altogether. You are correct, breads and pasta are not a necessity. Your diet looks great...just make sure to add in more veggies.. Some people are juicing to get their veggies in if you don't like to eat a lot of them. And also just make sure you are eating some form of protein every day and never drop your calories below 1200 per day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wow, great help, thanks. sorry, this is the last and then i am going to try to ask you a new question as a separate thing, not here!

, i was doing a lot of hula hooping, its kind of hard on the tum, but you move around a lot - do you think that could have damaged/loosened the skin, muscles on the stomach?

thats all , after your response, thank you very much.

No, if anything it would have toned your abs up a bit and also the obliques. That's not a bad exercise for you to be doing! :)