Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I was stung by a wasp or bee 24hrs ago (near eye). Had pain

I was stung by a wasp or bee 24hrs ago (near eye). Had pain at site, took OTC anithistamine & used OTC cortisone cream last nite and seemed ok. This morning on waking it was itchy & hot w/some swelling. Took 2nd antihistamine about 3hrs ago w/tylenol for achy feeling. It is now even more swollen (hard lump about 2" diameter), itchy, hot. Used ice pak for 15 min & took another antihistamine. Husband is getting worried & thinks I should go to urgent care.
Thank you for your question:

I would have to agree with your husband. You have tried appropriate over-the-counter treatment without improvement, so an evaluation by a physician is appropriate at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hate it when the husband is right Smile

Thanks doc

I know.... (You don't have to tell him someone told you he was right, you can just tell him that you are going to go to make him happy....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think I can go by myself & be able to drive home or should I take husband w/me ...not sure how something like this is treated

There are several things that might concern me about your driving yourself.

Antihistamines can cause drowsiness in some people (and you don't want to drive if you are drowsy)

AND

The swelling around the eye may have limited your vision in this eye which would interfere with depth perception - critical for driving.

Overall - I would usually suggest someone else drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will do. Will log on later & let you know how it plays out.

That would be wonderful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Doc - it was a good thing I went to urgent care. Needed injection of Solumedrol (?sp) & Benadryl. They also rx'd antibiotic to insure no cellulitis infection. Doc said it didn't look infected but we didn't want to take a chance.

Sent home w/Prednisone 20mgx3/day tapering down to 2/day in couple of days then 1 for a couple days. They also said I could take 50mg of Benadryl (I have 25mg capsules so in other words take 2 at a time).

Question on side effects - took Prednisone & Benadryl dose same time this morning and within 1/2hr a lot of redness in face & hot, hot, hot. Then this 'aft when I took another dose of Benadryl alone same thing happened. I've used Benadryl for years during allergy season but only taking 1 - 25mg cap at a time. Does this mean I'm allergic to Benadryl or is it a known side effect at higher dose?

Thanks.

I doubt that this is caused by an "allergy" to the Benadryl - it is more likely a side effect - one that is reported by some patients.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll back off to the regular dose of 1 x 25mg.

And husband has orders to do wasp nest patrol around the outside of house this coming weekend! Don't want this experience again.

Thanks for all your great advice

That sounds very reasonable...