Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am 23 year old female experiencing right leg tingling and

I am 23 year old female experiencing right leg tingling and numbness as well as a very cold foot and cap refill of 5-6 secs. Also experiencing bilateral lower leg swelling and pain after working a regular 8 hour shift for the past 3-4 weeks.

Greetings Sacha.

I am sorry about your symptoms.

Are you on any medications?
Did the symptoms start suddenly or gradually?
Any significant past medical history?
Do you have period abnormality, abdominal / stomach pain, breathlessness, back pain?
Any family history?
Were any investigations or treatment done for these symptoms?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Arun,

I did actually go to anEmergency room today after experiencing a sudden tightness then pain followed by numbness/tingling in my right calve while out for a light jog. I immediately thought muscle cramp but the tingling and numbness made me think something else was going on. I had blood work done and results were "normal", the Dr. barely felt my leg, gave me a shot of heparin and told me to come back tomorrow morning for an ultrasound.

I am a non smoker but I have been taking the birth control pill Yasmin for the past 4+ years.

I am just looking for any information or thoughts on what is causing the continued numbness and tingling. It isn't unberable or excruciating just very uncomfortable and unsettling. Thanks

Thanks Sacha for the further information.

The Emergency physician should have done an ultrasound to rule out deep vein thrombosis (DVT / blood clot), today, apart from a blood work for the d-dimer test. Heparin is given when there is DVT suspected. But ideally it should be administered after confirmation of the diagnosis. Swelling legs on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence
2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow
3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.
4) Congestive heart failure
5) Kidney diseases
6) Protein deficiency
7) Hypothyroidism
8) Anemia
9) Medications.

A back issue like disc disease, a large ovarian cyst etc may also give rise to your symptoms. Hence a thorough investigations are mandatory as following;

1) Ultrasound of lower limbs (colored Doppler study).
2) CT scan of abdomen.
3) Blood work; complete blood counts, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, kidney function tests and comprehensive metabolic panel.
4) MRI of back.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I will just have to be patient for tonight and wait for the ultrasound tomorrow. I am only experiencing symptoms in my right leg and although they have decreased they are still present after 6 hours so but at least I know what to ask for when I go back tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.

You are very welcome, Sacha.

Yes, you may wait till the morning and ask your doctor to get all these investigations done tomorrow for the determination of the cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please click excellent / good, if this interaction has been helpful and satisfactory. Only a positive rating gives us credit for the work and expertize. You can ask follow up questions, even after rating.