Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

My Western Blot test came back as positive for antibodies to

My Western Blot test came back as positive for antibodies to HSV2 and evidence of past infection. It was negative for HSV1. I've never had any symptoms and the dr didn't call me when the test result came in 3 days ago, I found out by looking at MyChart which gives me access to test results. What does that test result mean?

Western blot test is reliable and confirmatory test for HSV2.

And as per your description,it indicates the evidence of past infection so possibly it's IgG HSV2 positive.

Many people can test positive for HSV2 (genital herpes) and never have symptoms. Some people, after exposure, will have a breakout within 2 weeks after the virus is transmitted but some only will exhibit flu-like symptoms including fever and swollen glands.
Sometimes the outbreak is so mild that it gets unnoticed.

The presence of IgG for HSV-2 without any history of outbreak suggest prior exposure but your immune system was able to overcome and suppress it from showing symptoms.

HSV-2 IgG are antibodies that the body make to fight infections due to HSV.

If you have active infection due to HSV-2, then you will have IgM and IgG antibodies , or IgM alone.

A positive HSV 2 IgG suggest a past exposure to HSV 2.
The virus is now dormant and can activate if the immune system is down as in events of stress or illness.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My last exposure was 5 months ago. He never had any symptoms but had in the past & was on medication. I've never had any symptoms. Does this mean I could have an outbreak in the future? What about my current boyfriend? Is he exposed now? And will I need to go on anti-viral meds?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes you can have an outbreak in future as the virus is now dormant and can activate if the immune system is down as in events of stress or illness.

Yoru current partner may be exposed now.

And even if you have no symptoms you can still transmit infection with asymptomatic viral shedding.

For further details-

http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/news/20110412/genital-herpes-silent-spread

Correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of genital herpes

so you should prefer safe sex practices.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.