Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

my upper abs hurt a LOT when I cough and I cant take full

my upper abs hurt a LOT when I cough and I can't take full breaths. I've had a cough for a few weeks now but the pain really started getting back in the last 3 days. It's like a sharp sharp pain right below my right pectoral
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Is the pain superficial in muscle or its deep?
Is there nausea or vomiting?
Is the pain continuous or intermittent?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it doesn't feel too deep, i've been coughing a LOT the last few weeks, slight vomiting but just spit or mucus, the pain is only right when i cough, a very short sharp quick pain

Dear Andres,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

You may need to go to ER.The area of pain you have described is medically called as epigastric region & this pain can be due to following causes:GERD,gastritis,pancreatitis,peritonitis,appendicitis.Appendicitis seems to be the most probable cause.

Although you have cough for last few weeks,but this does not seem to be due to cough.These symptoms can be due to appendicitis.When you cough,it hurts because of pressure on the inflammed organ.Pancreatitis can be a possibility.

You need following tests:

-Ultrasound of upper abdomen,
-Gastroscopy or EGD,
-CT scan/MRI scan of whole abdomen,

Considering the type,location & severity of pain,I advice you to go to ER for for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Antibiotics shots & pain killer shots may be given accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i don't want to pay

Dear customer,
I have seen that you have rated my answer as poor service.Can you let me know what exactly do you want to know & why you are not satisfied.

My main motive is your 100% satisfaction & our conversation will remain open till you are satisfied.So please use reply tab so that I can answer you accordingly.

Kind Regards-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was somewhat helpful, i don't believe it's that serious though, i can't go to the ER bc i don't have health insurance, i rated you low so I don't have to pay the $14...i don't want to pay anything

Dear Andres,

I can understand your point.

As you mentioned in initial post as "sharp sharp pain" so this seems to me that you are having very sharp pain & that's why I advice you to go to ER.

If the pain is not that severe/sharp,you can take tab.Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.If after taking this medication,your pain persists,then going to ER is the option.

Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Hi Andress,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

How is your pain now?
Have you taken Ibuprofen?
Was there any need to go to ER?

Let me know,