Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I recently had a head injury (about a month ago). Within a

I recently had a head injury (about a month ago). Within a week or less, my mood started to change. I became extremly angry, depressed on and off (mood switched day to day), then became pretty much unresponsive to emotion (not laughing at funny things, not crying at sad things, just appearing numb to the outside world). After my head injury my Lithium levels were low (which they usually run low) and then spiked really high). Could the mood changes be from the head injury or just a decrease in my mental health? Not sure what the best plan of action is...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

How severe was the head injury?

Dr Vikas :

Got your CT scan head done, if yes, was it normal?

Dr Vikas :

Are you also suffering from Mood disorder (taking Lithium?)

Customer:

my head injury was bad enough that my speech was effected

Customer:

they said post concussion syndrome

Customer:

ct scan was normal

Customer:

and my mri just confirmed that i have chiarri malformation 1 no changes

Customer:

lithium is for mood disorder...bipolar

Customer:

my diagnosis for pysch is boderline personality disorder, bipolar, ptsd, and anxiety (they diagnosed me borderline back in march after a 14 year long history of self mutilation and suicide attempts)

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for the detailed information. After head injury, patients commonly report of symptoms like altered mood, headache, dizziness, altered mood etc and these symptoms may persist for few weeks to a month or so depending on the severity of head injury.

Customer:

my injury occured on january 12th

Dr Vikas :

OK, do you think that the symptoms you have mentioned are decreasing in severity now a little bit or same as before?

Customer:

the thing that concerns me is the severity of my mood changes...my aggitation and paranoia had gotten so bad that i signed myself out of the hospital ama and actually left my home

Customer:

i was homeless staying at my ex boyfriends home for about three weeks

Customer:

some things have remained exactly the same, such as the paranoia and dizzness

Dr Vikas :

well, you must be aware of the fact that any type of stress can aggravate or worsen the mental illness

Customer:

the depression is come and go

Customer:

some days alot worse then others

Customer:

yes that i do

Dr Vikas :

In that case, I guess, you required a re-evaluation of your medicines

Dr Vikas :

are you also taking any other medicine other than Lithium?

Customer:

yes one for the bipolar the rest are for siezures, tachycardia, anxiety

Dr Vikas :

is it possible for you to mention them along with the dose, because in my view, simply readjusting the dose of these medicines should be helpful in controlling your current symptoms

Customer:

sure

Customer:

the bystolic for tachycardia 5mg in the morning, lithium is 600mg in the morning 300 mg at night, sinequan (doxepin) 50mg at night, klonopin 0.5mg bid, lamictal 50mg bid (for seizures) and protonix 40mg in the morning

Customer:

the anxiety has gotten so bad that my ptsd symptoms have increased ten fold....it actually ended my relationship with my boyfriend '

Customer:

i have called my pysch dr numerous times and for some reason he isnt all the concerned and keeps pushing off my appt so hence why i am asking here lol

Dr Vikas :

OK, I may suggest you some modifications which you can discuss with your psychiatrist. This is all I can do from here

Customer:

could these changes be strictly from the head injury, seeings how none of these symptoms have been present since april, and i was stable up until the head injury?

Dr Vikas :

yes it is possible. Headache, dizziness, altered mood are the frequently reported symptoms by most patients

Dr Vikas :

but in that case, these symptoms should subside shortly

Dr Vikas :

as the times passes by

Customer:

althought i will mention that neurologically i havent been the same since april...massive suicide attempt that had me in CCU on a vent for ten days and effected all of my organs including my brain

Dr Vikas :

sorry to hear about that

Customer:

ok that is good to know...because the way i have been feeling is not the way i would like to continue

Customer:

i think if it was to not get better at all that would probably worsen my depression

Dr Vikas :

don't worry about that.

Dr Vikas :

When you are going to see your psychiatrist next?

Customer:

honestly i am not sorry that it happened because it kind of straightend me up to never try and pull that again

Customer:

thats the down side unfortunatly

Customer:

i am supposed to be seeing him this sunday, but we are located on long island in new york and we are in the area that is expecing 16+ inches of snow by Saturday

Dr Vikas :

because you do require some modification in your treatment

Dr Vikas :

OH

Customer:

he called me today to say that I may be having to reschedule

Customer:

that will be the third time since the fall and injury that i have had to reschedule for the same thing

Customer:

not snow but meaning the symptoms

Customer:

at what point should i consider hospitalization? even if i am not suicida;

Dr Vikas :

OK, if your symptoms such as headache and dizziness are very troublesome, you can request your GP to prescribe you medicines for those symptoms.

Customer:

ok

Dr Vikas :

In my view, I don't think right now there is any reason to think about hospitalization.

Customer:

and regarding the paranoia and anxiety is there anything that i should do regarding that in the meantime?

Dr Vikas :

You appear to be a brave girl who is managing well and is learning from her mistakes.

Customer:

ok thats also very good to hear as it is a major fear of mine, as it could potentially end me up in a long term pysch hospital

Customer:

i wish i could say yes lol

Dr Vikas :

Have you ever tried psychotherapy

Dr Vikas :

?

Customer:

if i was truly learning from my mistakes none of this would have happened lol

Customer:

yes i am currently in pyschotherapy but again my appointment is on saturday and that is potentially cancelled as well

Dr Vikas :

Cognitive Behavior Therapy?

Customer:

what i mean is that if i had learned from my past mistakes, i would not have signed out of the hospital ama become aggitated and paranoid to the point i was going to injure someone or pretty much run away from home (even though i am an adult) to become homeless, lose family and friends, a relationship, and continue to hurt people in very negative ways that can never be recovered

Customer:

cbt is done with a social worker?

Customer:

if so then yes

Dr Vikas :

not exactly

Customer:

my next step is DBT

Dr Vikas :

CBT is done by an experienced psychologist or psychiatrist

Customer:

the only thing i have learned from my mistakes is not to try and kill myself

Dr Vikas :

good

Dr Vikas :

happy to hear that and I really do appreciate it.

Dr Vikas :

you can try free online CBT by yourself for controlling your anxiety and depressive symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

CBT is also helpful in various other mental disorders

Customer:

because then i wind up in the CCU on a vent dying and being resussitaed and waking up going out of my mind with scars that i live with as a reminder everyday and the physical battles that my organs were failinh

Dr Vikas :

I am giving you link for trying online CBT

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

im defineltly going to use it starting now!!

Dr Vikas :

great

Customer:

i have actually locked myself in the bedroom several days this week due to paranoia and anxiety and my ptsd stuff so anything that is suggested that will come these symptoms is will try

Dr Vikas :

in addition to that you can also try certain relaxation techniques to calm yourself if you have not tried them already

Dr Vikas :

specially deep breathing exercise and progressive muscle relaxation techniques

Customer:

such as guided imagery?

Customer:

what is progressive muschle relaxation?

Dr Vikas :

you can find the detailed information in this link above

Customer:

the deep breathing generally doesnt work as i start to hyperventilate (i think i do it wrong lol)

Dr Vikas :

the steps to that are clearly mentioned in this website

Customer:

ok i have both sites opened in another page to save to my browser and to ensure that they actually worked for my computer

Dr Vikas :

along with the CT track

Customer:

kk

Dr Vikas :

good

Dr Vikas :

CD track :)

Customer:

if the pyschiatrist cancels due to the snow at least i have something to try and get me thru the weekend...barring we dont lose power again like we did during the hurricane

Customer:

then if we lose power bets are all off...

Customer:

ill be a mess and probably calling him every five minutes

Customer:

lol

Customer:

jk on the calling every five min part

Dr Vikas :

Don't worry, these relaxation techniques and the CBT should be very helpful in your case in my view

Customer:

i really appreciate the links

Customer:

thank you

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

honestly this was a good suggestion from a friend to come onto this site

Dr Vikas :

glad to hear that

Customer:

not only did you make me feel that the symptoms will improve from the head injury but that the emotional symptoms DO NOT require me to be hospitalized

Customer:

now just cross your fingers for me that the snow is less than an inch, there is no ice on the roads, and that I DO NOT LOSE POWER EVEN FOR AN HOUR (during the storm we were out for 12 days it was freezing to say the least) and that i cna actually go to therapy and the pyschiatrist appt on sunday!!

Dr Vikas :

Yes, what you are saying will happen indeed.

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

it will indeed happen that i get 16+ inches of snow and lose power?

Customer:

wow thanks

Customer:

lol jk

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

thanks again and have a great night

Dr Vikas :

most welcome again.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr Vikas :

you can rate the answer now

Customer:

it wont let me

Dr Vikas :

I disabled the rating feature earlier

Dr Vikas :

you can do it now

Dr Vikas :

please wait

Customer:

oo ok

Customer:

ummm....it says you havent finished answering the question and still wont let me rate the answer

Customer:

im so confused

Customer:

i believe you still have the feature disabled as it wont allow me to rate the questions answer...it keeps telling me that the expert has not answfinsinsed answering the question

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jess

Now you can rate the answer.

Sorry for the trouble.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No trouble at all thank you again...i am actually sharing the sites that you suggested!! thank you thank you thank you!!