Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Cell Phone like buzzing in bottom. Seems to be at the end

Cell Phone like buzzing in bottom. Seems to be at the end of my tailbone. No other pain or symptoms. Had MRI about a year ago showing no signs of MS or anything like that. Was told, however I have Congenital Spinal Stenosis.  Hoping it is just from that.

Welcome and thanks for your question , this sensation you are experiencing the cell phone buzzing in your tailbone is called paresthesia.

There are multiple conditions that can produce this type of symptoms besides Multiple Sclerosis like the presence of a pinched or compressed lower nerve root , a lower back herniated disc , hormonal problems ( like diabetes or thyroid gland disorders ), vitamin B 12 deficiency , irregular calcium,potassium or sodium blood levels,medications, previous nerve injury or decreased blood flow ,specially if there is atherosclerosis ( in which the blood vessel wall becomes hardened , thickened and obstructed by fat deposits ) .

You should consult an Internal Medicine Specialist to evaluate you , he/she will need to perform some additional tests including : urine tests , electrolyte blood levels ,vitamin B 12 levels , nerve conduction tests , thyroid blood levels , glucose blood levels and /or cholesterol and triglyceride blood levels .

With these tests , your doctor will be able to determine what specific condition is producing your symptoms so you can receive an appropriate treatment .

The treatment will vary according to what condition is involved , if your thyroid hormones are low , you will receive thyroid hormone supplementation , if there is a vitamin B 12 deficit , you will need to take vitamin B 12 supplements , if there is a pinched nerve , anti-inflammatories will be prescribed and surgery if that does not work or if you have diabetes ( losing weight ,a proper diet , medications or insulin are used ).

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it possible to be caused by my spinal stenosis?

Yes , it could be caused by spinal stenosis ( in spinal stenosis there is a narrow intervertebral disc space , as consequence , the spinal nerve that travels through that space ,becomes pinched or compressed , producing different symptoms like numbness ,tingling ,pain or buzzing sensation ).