Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I am a 64 year old female and have been physically active all

I am a 64 year old female and have been physically active all of my life (I am retired military). I used to run a lot on the treadmill, but neck and back injury caused me to limit my cardio to walking fast uphill on the treadmill and using the eliptical machine. I usually workout 1 to 2 hours at a time on these machines. I have been having terrible burning pain in my outer thighs. I researched it on the internet and it seems that I have Meralgia Paresthetica.
I am about 20 pounds overweight and desparately trying to lose it. I am obsessed about keeping a cardio regimen. I will see my doctor March 20, 2013.
I want some advice until then. Should I stop cardio exercising altogether until I see my doctor? Or can I still workout and cut down the time on the machines? Can I do irreversible damage if I continue to do cardio?
I continue to do weights for upper body strength. I don't want to become a couch potato
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you feel any chest pain or severe shortness of breath during cardio exercises?
Have you underwent any nerve tests so far?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No chest pain or shortness of breath.

No nerve tests done.

High cholesteral and hypertension controlled by meds.

Have Major Depressive Disorder and take meds for it.

Neck and back injury after getting hit by a car. Take pain meds.

No other medical conditions

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,the symptoms of burning pain in outer thigh you are having is most probably due to a condition called Meralgia Paresthetica.It is caused when one of your large sensory nerves (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) to one of your legs is being compressed. This compression results in a terrible burning sensation felt in your outer thigh.

Restrictive clothing and weight gain are two common reasons for pressure on a nerve.As you are 20 pounds overweight,so this seems to be the most probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

The goal of treatment is to remove the cause of the compression.Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (brand names: Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (brand name: Aleve) can be used to relieve pain and swelling.Weight reduction is very important.

You should not stop cardio exercising altogether.You can cut down the duration.Special emphasis should be laid on diet to reduce the weight.Reduce the amount of calories you eat.Eating 300 to 500 calories less per day should lead to a loss of between one and two pounds per week.You could start dieting. What you will have to do is keep an account of how many calories you take in each day.Cut down your calories.

Avoid chocolate or biscuits in the week, choose healthy snacks such as fruit.Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.Drink plenty of fluids.Eat a lot of salad & fruits.All this will help you greatly.

So dear XXXXX,the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you need to reduce the duration of work out on machines & control your diet,apply heat to the thigh,take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.All this will help you greatly in reducing the pain till you get consultation with your doctor on March 20, 2013 for these tests & treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website again.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need to know if continued cardio could do irreversible damage such as paralysis.

Dear XXXXX,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

No,nerve root compression of thighs cannot cause you paralysis or any other irreversible damage or anything serious if you will continue the cardio exercises.

Meralgia paresthetica (MP) is a neurological disorder of the nervous cutaneous femoris lateralis (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) (LFCN).

The idea of limiting the cardio exercises/cutting on duration is advised so as not to aggravate the inflammation which can cause the pain or may increase the severity of pain or numbness or burning sensation.

The main goal is to reduce inflammation that may be contributing to the pressure on the nerve.Also avoid wearing tight clothing.

Hope this helped

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Your answer was very iniformative and gives me peace of mind.

I'd like to add a $15.00 bonus and conclude this transaction now.

Dear Susan,
Thank you for using just answer website & giving me bonus.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Hi Susan,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you cut on the cardio exercises?
Have you controlled diet?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles