Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Update

I am worried about when it would be right to be worried about rabies exposure.

This was 1 week ago.

I was walking outside at work to get to the building where I sign out.
I heard a noise to my right. I got a little worried.  I felt a bit of moisture under my right eye but I thought nothing about it. I mean droplets fall from the sky all the time.  A huge storm was brewing anyways. There is always stray droplets before a storm.  However I didn't feel another raindrop as I was walking.

Anyways, I signed out and was walking to my car the way I came.
I heard a screaching sound that I had never heard before.
I have never heard a bat in person, only the canned sounds you get in movies.
I can't describe the sound, It was a bit sonar like in that they were short and repetitive pules. They also reflected well, and seem to come from different angles between the buildings. In short it was sonar like. What I heard was no bird.
Now I became worried that what I had met along the way was a bat.
I washed my hands, and went home.  I did not wash my face though.
On the way to my car the raindrops started.

I am worried that a bat came out of hibernation.  It may be winter in Massachusetts, but that day was abnormally warm.  I had to take my jacket off because I was sweating. It was like 30"F difference from usual. It was 60"F high, but the day before it was 32"F. I was worried that a bat came out of hibernation, and was confused.

But even if there was a bat outside, I don't think it physically touched me, and I didn't see it.  I don't know where that droplet came from.
In addition I have had a rabies vaccine 7 months ago, so I don't think that I need to be worried. However I really don't know how long it lasts.

Should I worry about a bat flying overhead and drooling onto me?
This was one week ago but I now I have a bit of a phobia about this, to the point that if I become startled I usually end up one way or another detecting moisture on my head.

Basically it comes down to: XXXXX XXXXX am walking back to my car at night and I feel a droplet overhead, and don't see a bat, or have a phobia at that time. Am I ok to go home and have a normal night.

I don't have to rush home and take a shower, I can wait until the next day. I shouldn't have to worry about cuts on my hands. My worry is lying in bed thinking about moisture on my scalp, itching my head and worrying about opening cuts. I would like to go back to taking my showers in the morning.

My problem is determining what is an actual exposure.

Sorry to trouble you,
Stephen Giardini

Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

I am sorry for your sufferings. I understand your concern and worry for this issue.
Rabies can be transmitted when the saliva from a rabid animal , when it comes in contact with a person's mouth, eyes, nose, or a fresh wound.
Rabies is perhaps the most well known disease associated with bats.
It may be possible, that you have caught bat saliva in eye, Exposure to saliva and other secretions can also lead to infection.

But as you have already been vaccinated for rabies, at just 7 months ago, so there is no worry for serious issue. You should stop worrying that you have got rabies. You are completely safe, as you have been vaccinated.
Also a single reinforcing dose of vaccine should be given one year after the primary course has been completed.Further doses should be given at three- to five-year intervals after that.

Even though, if it was bat's saliva, which caught in your eye, you are completely safe. No need to get panic. It is quite possible, that you had raindrop in your eye. No one can find the exact picture.
But if even if it was bat's saliva, you are pretty safe always.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,

I wrote because I am trying to get rid of the phobia.

I get seasonal effective disorder, or so I think.

I am worried about both taking and not taking a shower, when I really just need to get to bed.

Today I felt a drop out out of the blue, no evidence of a bat.

Every day now, I have to battle this fear.

Every time I walk at night.

Normal people just shrug droplets off.

I scratched my scalp pretty hard and I am worried that it is bleeding.

I just want to sleep untill morning when I can make clearer decisions.

I'm worried that I am doing something stupid by not taking a shower now and rinsing my scalp.

This was 1 week ago.

I heard a noise to my right. I got a little worried. I felt a bit of moisture under my right eye but I thought nothing about it. I mean droplets fall from the sky all the time. A huge storm was brewing anyways. There is always stray droplets before a storm. However I didn't feel another raindrop as I was walking.

I washed my hands, and went home. I did not wash my face though.

I am worried that a bat came out of hibernation. It may be winter in Massachusetts, but that day was abnormally warm. I had to take my jacket off because I was sweating. It was like 30"F difference from usual. It was 60"F high, but the day before it was 32"F. I was worried that a bat came out of hibernation, and was confused.

But even if there was a bat outside, I don't think it physically touched me, and I didn't see it. I don't know where that droplet came from.

If I feel a droplet on my head when walking to my car is it proably ok to ignore it. I would like to go back to taking my showers in the morning.

Sorry to trouble you,
Stephen Giardini

Dear XXXXX,
You are just worrying for this situation, As explained earlier, you can't get rabies from this incidence.
Yes, you can safely take a shower, there is no harm in taking a bath.
You can go for a bath.
You are taking un-necessary stress, Please stop taking stress and have a sound sleep.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.