Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have had a muscle spasm in my neck for almost two years and

I have had a muscle spasm in my neck for almost two years and when the docter did a MRI they said I had a muscle spasm so bad that it changed the curviture of my spine. What can I do do make it go away or reverse it. I have been in massage therapy, on muscle relaxers and pain killers.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

When was your MRI scan done?

Was there any degeneration/herniation of disc?

Do you have pain in neck now?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the MRI about two weeks ago. I have degeneration of a disc in lower back. But they say there is water loss and I have onset degenerative disc disease in the neck. Yes I have pain now

Dear XXXXX

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Neck muscle spasms can be caused by an injury, stress, excessive use or poor posture.The symptoms you have described can also be due to a condition called torticollis.The condition involves an occasional or constant painful spasm of the large muscles of the neck and usually affects one side more than the other.

Also you may need further tests like Electromyography(EMG),nerve conduction studies,electro physiological studies.

As you have already tried massage therapy,muscle relaxers and pain killers,following treatment will help you greatly:

-Non surgical treatment options are:Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs),cold therapy, heat therapy or both,oral steroid medications.

-Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation.

-Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway.

-Injections of anesthesia/cortisone can be administered directly in the area of
muscle spasm/nerve compression.

-Traction and isometric exercises.

If you have tried for these medications & injections,non-surgical treatments &
other conservative treatment for at least about six months, and they haven't
helped reduce your pain, then surgery is the only option.

So I advice you to make an appointment with your ortho doctor for the further testing & the best treatment options accordingly considering various factors.It will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Mellisa

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your ortho doctor?
Was further tests done?
Have you got the relief from non surgical treatments?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles