Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have been taking Ambien ER nightly for about a year. I have

I have been taking Ambien ER nightly for about a year. I have chronic insomnia and night starts. I've tried Lunesta, and a whole host of antidepressants that were supposed to help me sleep none of them worked. My question is this: is there another sleep medication that can be taken by someone with a heart problem, that isn't as expensive as Ambien. $200.00 a month is a little steep for a cash patient?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Do you know which heart problem you have?
Hi--I'd suggest Restoril--temazepam is the generic. It's an effective sleep medication and very inexpensive as compared to Ambien and it shouldn't cause a problem with your atrial fibrillation.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
However, restoril is not used as an anti depressant, so I guess it will not serve your purpose.
You can try ZOLOFT which is cheaper than restoril and much safer in congestive heart disease.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
I beg to differ with the other expert. You never said you had a problem with depression but only with insomnia. Antidepressants can be tried for insomnia but they are not as effective for a sleep problem as temazepam.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I just got off the phone with the pharmacy, priced Zoloft (which he said would keep me up, not help me sleep) it is really cheap. Restoril will help with sleep, however, it is $100.00 MORE ($298.00 for 30 7.5mg tablets) than I am paying for Ambien CR. Any other ideas?

Restoril is the brand name of temazepam and the generic should be available at your pharmacy and the generic is always much cheaper than the brand name.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Generic price at Target Pharmacy 7.5mg x 30 tablets $298.00

That surprises me and you should check prices at other pharmacies. That said, Valium in the generic form would be an acceptable alternative to temazepam and very inexpensive.

You might want to try some of these tips to fall asleep naturally. You would have to tell your md that you want to come off the medications for sleep as after awhile they lose their effect. You would gradually cut off 1/4 pill from the dose and take that dose for lets say 1 month then reduce another 1/4 and so on since you have been on them long. however, you can use these tips as well as take the medication.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN

RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE

EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.

ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH. LATEST RESEARCH FROM

JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES. IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER. WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP. DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE. IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.