Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

what is neuropathy? what are the symptoms?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details so that i address your question according to your symptoms.

Do you have a diagnosed medical problem like diabetes etc?

Since how long exactly you have this pain in feet and burning?

Do you feel any numbness, tingling, electric current like pain in foot?

Any pain on pressing the effected area?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no diabetes

about 3 to 6 months on and off pain.

some tingling occas. elec. sensation.

yes, tender.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. There can be many causes for your symptoms and neuropathy is one of those. The other causes can be a local problem like arthritis, muscular injury etc. Actually tests are required to get to the cause. You asked about symptom of neuropathy so i would like to tell you that neuropathy is a condition where the nerves get damaged or gets inflammed due to long standing diseases like diabetes however in the absence of any such disease neuropathy is still possible. The symptoms include tingling, numbness and burning in the effected area. The pain can also be there and it is felt like an electric current. There can be extreme sensitivity to touch. So yes your symptoms match with neuropathy. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily and OTC multivitamin tablet which contains vitamin B12 is good because vitamin B12 is good for nerves. You should visit your local doctor who can send you to a neurologist if he feel like. He can get tests like routine blood tests, CT scan, Vitamin B12 levels etc. He can add drugs like gabapentin which can help with this problem. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.