Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Thank for your last response. Iam on macrobid no for my thrid

Thank for your last response. Iam on macrobid no for my thrid pill hoping to feel better by 36 hours. My question is about getting the current flu shot. A friend works in a court house were she is exposed to many people who had the flu or the public. She was told by a nutses aid that she didnt need the shot because she eorked where she was exposed to people who probly were sick. She was sick 5 weeks ago broncitisis or flu not sure but is fine now except getting over s bladder infection that she has tecovered from. The nurse aid told her she did not need the flu shot since she eas exposed to the public or others who had flu like coworkers. Is that true??? She has an elderly mom at home and has no physical reason not to have flu vaccination. I think having the flu shot this year is important reguardless of where she works and the time of the year is not important. Should she get the shot??? Is it too late to get the flu short because as het nurse friend said too late eveyone has had the flu so she does not need it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The vaccine is about 62% effective in preventing flu. As for who should get it, definitely people over 60 and toddlers and anyone with significant lung disorders or other medical conditions, should get the vaccine. Even people who are exposed to flu; should get the vaccine. Since your friend does not clearly know about the cause of infection 5 weeks ago, there is no harm in getting the flu shot. Since she has recovered from UTI, she can be given flu shot.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her basic premise for no getting the flu shot was that a nurses aid told her she was exposed to the pubic and did not need it. She has a 11short year old and elderly mother she cares for. Being exposed to the public and that most people has got the flu was something she was told so she would not get the flu shot. The time of year and who she works with seemed more to reason to get it not be talked out of it by her momthers daycare aid who told my friend the time and place of work protected her from the flu. That kind of thi.king concerns me. I think shes at risk as much as anyone. Should she be vaccinated????

She should be vaccinated. You are right that she has same risk as the other people. Her exposure to people who had flu does not decrease the risk. Being with an elderly and 11 year old, further point and indicate for a flu vaccine. The usual recommendation would be to get the vaccine.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you u have been very helpful. And uam going to give up the best rating. Thank you again.
You are very welcome.

I appreciate your kind words.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine