Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I was told I have a tortuous splenic vein and am awaiting further

I was told I have a tortuous splenic vein and am awaiting further tests on my liver, spleen and pancreas. Is having a tortuous splenic vein cause for concern?

Greetings Jen.

An isolated tortuous spleen is usually not considered significant, if there are not associated following findings;

1) Liver enlargement or cirrhosis of liver
2) Spleen enlargement
3) Abnormalities in the blood cell counts
4) Abnormal liver function tests
5) Significant abdominal symptoms like lump or mass in abdomen, moderate to severe chronic abdominal pain, etc.
6) Normal portal vein in pressure and caliber.

If the tortuous splenic vein was found in a routine check up and is an incidental finding on an ultrasound or a CT scan; this is usually considered as nothing concerning.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.