Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

I have white mass on my left vocal cord what could it come

I have white mass on my left vocal cord what could it come from or be

Dr. David :

Hello. Thank you for your question. It sounds like you may have a polyp or cyst on the left vocal cord. This can come about for a variety of reasons such as traumatic use of the voice including excessive speaking, yelling, excessive singing, or over-use of the voice when sick. Sometimes a mass on the vocal cord can be caused by a virus, and this can come about for no reason in particular. Dr. David

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it continue to grow? My surgery isn't until the 14th and its been there for at least two Weeks. Can it dissolve on its on?
It should not grow significantly over the next few weeks. Vocal cord masses are typically very small, and it should not interfere with your swallowing. Though is can causes changes in the voice.

There is a type of lesion called a vocal cord nodule. These can dissolve on their own with rest. Though it does not sound like you have this kind of lesion.

A smaller mass could possibly shrink on its own. Your doctor may be interested in removing and examining the mass to find out exactly what it is however.