Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My son is going to be 13 months. He Has exzema and we seen

Customer Question

My son is going to be 13 months. He Has exzema and we seen a allergy dr and he has a dairy allergy. He seen him in October. It's weird now I'll make hambagure helper with 1 percent milk and he doesn't break out but today he had a sip of direct 1 percent milk and broke out in hives. With a cake he was fine then his birthday cake he broke out in hives. It's like he can have some things with milk and some things not I'm so confused on what to feed him!! Or when he is off formula switch him to a goats milk? Please help. Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
It is likely that the difference between the Hamburger Helper and drinking milk is the changes in the milk protein that occur with cooking.

The degree to which the milk protein changes could vary between different types of cooking including temperature, time and possibly even the other ingredients.

The decision on using goats milk or some other beverage such as soy milk would best be addressed by his allergist who would likely have conducted tests for allergy to other possible food sources.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
K so I fed him ice cream and only had a few bumps by mouth but when he had the milk straight his whole face broke out
Most ice cream does have some degree of cooking during the processing - which could explain the reduced effect on his allergy.

I would strongly suggest discussing this with his allergist since allergic reactions to milk and milk products can be very serious.