Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I recently had a full physical and blood work done - all came

I recently had a full physical and blood work done - all came back very good the only exception was that my blood presure was a little high at 132/90. Although my doctor did not ask me to I went and purchased a blood pressure machine for home and began using it. I noted for the most part that my blood pressure on this machine was quite a bit higher then the 132 noted. I just saw that the cuff I have is made for arms of between 9 and 13 in and I have 16.5 inc arms - I do a lot of weight lifing and try to keep myself in good shap. When i enter all my info in tothe americian hart association hart attach risk calculator it comes out at 2%. My question is could the higher blood bressure be caused by my arms being bigger then the recommend size use
YES - using a blood pressure cuff that is too narrow for the diameter of the arm can cause a false elevation of the blood pressure reading.