Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I just had a check up with blood work and everything and all

Customer Question

I just had a check up with blood work and everything and all came back well my clestrol level both good and bad were very good ect. The only area was that my blood pressure was a little high at 132/90. Although my doctor did not ask me to I went out and purchased a home blood pressure monitoring kit just for my own review. When I got it home and started using it I noticed that the readings were higher then what I had a t he doctor as high as 142/97. I did note theat the cuff I had was designed fro 9 to 13 in arms. I do quite a bit of wweiht lifting and try to keep in good shape my arms are about 16 inc around could this account for the higher readings
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Yes with your large arms , this may affect your blood pressure readings.
Anthony Bray MD : I would recommend that you use a wrist type BP monitor . These do not vary so much due to you having large arms.
Anthony Bray MD : Obtain your readings after 10 minutes rest.
Anthony Bray MD : Keep a record of your readings so that your doctor can review. An average of your home readings should be more accurate and meaningful than any single reading. Your BP average should be equal to or less than135/85.
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : Oh and I would also recommend taking in your BP monitor with you to your doctor's office to compare readings at the same time to calibrate your device.
Anthony Bray MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated. Thank you and best regards ,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD