Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have been diagnosed with Eosinophilic esophagitis, GERD,

I have been diagnosed with Eosinophilic esophagitis, GERD, and non ulcer dyspepsia. I am currently experiencing sulfur burps, and terrible headaches as well. I feel as if things are getting worse including consistent vomiting and what feels now as dehydration. Is this enought to go to the ER?

Welcome and thanks for your question , yes , any stomach pain that persists longer than 2 hours should be evaluated in the emergency room .

They will manage this pain and give you oral solution or intravenous hydration if it is necessary .

It is important to determine if all these symptoms you have been experiencing are caused by the esophagitis or GERD or if other factors or an additional underlying condition could be involved like : gastritis ( stomach ling tissue inflammation ), intestinal inflammation , bowel blockage , kidney stones , gynecologic issues like pelvic inflammation or ovarian cysts , stomach,duodenal or esophageal ulcers , appendicitis or the presence of a gastrointestinal infection.

Headaches could be caused by several conditions including : tension, anxiety ,migraines, trigeminal nerve inflammation ,irritation or neuralgia , vascular or insufficient brain blood flow ,meningeal infection or inflammation or internal mass . The last 3 possibilities are extremely rare specially at your age .

The headaches could be managed with acetaminophen or ibuprofen at very low doses for few days if it is necessary and the emergency doctor does not consider it risky .

If the headache does not go away additional tests will need to be performed including : a lumbar puncture , a head CT Scan or MRI , some blood tests and a neurological examination to determine if there could be a more serious underlying condition involved that needs to be treated.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. Since I have these diagnoses, I wasn't sure what constituted need for emergency care. The symptoms have lasted, and so I will be going. Again, I appreciate your time.
You're welcome .have a good day .

You should go to the emergency , at least to be sure nothing serious is going on.