911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

it is 4:40a.m. here in California, I have been experiencing

Customer Question

it is 4:40a.m. here in California, I have been experiencing sharp sudden pain in my left temple during the day and it woke me up this morning. When I open my mouth I can also feel a slight pressure in my left ear. It seems feel like using a q-tip to scratch it. I am concerned because my son in law started with a severe head ache and suffered a stroke.
I have taken 4 low dosage asparin each 81mg. What else can i do? The pains are still occurring about every 2 to 3 minutes
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

Are you there?

911Doctor :

Ma'am, I do not see you in the chat so I'm just going to go ahead and give you the answer I would give regardless of what we would say if you were in the chat.

911Doctor :

the bottom line is you are 65 years old with symptoms that could represent stroke or intra-cranial hemorrhage.

911Doctor :

Is it likely to be either? no, but it's also possible, and the chances are somewhere in the 1-5% range depending on your other medical problems.

911Doctor :

if this is the worst case, and this is a bleed, the aspirin will make the bleed worse.

911Doctor :

so, the answer, I'm afraid, is to go to the nearest ER now.

911Doctor :

you need a head CT scan

911Doctor :

and an exam to rule out a stroke syndrome or a bleed inside the brain.

911Doctor :

there really is no way whatsoever, no matter what you would say if we were conversing, that my answer, as a board certified ER physician would be any different than this.

911Doctor :

as well, you have a family history of stroke.

911Doctor :

not a time to take any chances.

911Doctor :

please go to the ER now, and it would be best if you went by ambulance.

911Doctor :

if you have questions for me please type them below and click reply

911Doctor :

and I will get back with you as soon as I see the reply.

911Doctor :

be well.

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
again, if you need to reply or ask further questions, type in the box below and click 'reply' and we will continue.

911doc