911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

it is 4:40a.m. here in California, I have been experiencing

it is 4:40a.m. here in California, I have been experiencing sharp sudden pain in my left temple during the day and it woke me up this morning. When I open my mouth I can also feel a slight pressure in my left ear. It seems feel like using a q-tip to scratch it. I am concerned because my son in law started with a severe head ache and suffered a stroke.
I have taken 4 low dosage asparin each 81mg. What else can i do? The pains are still occurring about every 2 to 3 minutes

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

Are you there?

911Doctor :

Ma'am, I do not see you in the chat so I'm just going to go ahead and give you the answer I would give regardless of what we would say if you were in the chat.

911Doctor :

the bottom line is you are 65 years old with symptoms that could represent stroke or intra-cranial hemorrhage.

911Doctor :

Is it likely to be either? no, but it's also possible, and the chances are somewhere in the 1-5% range depending on your other medical problems.

911Doctor :

if this is the worst case, and this is a bleed, the aspirin will make the bleed worse.

911Doctor :

so, the answer, I'm afraid, is to go to the nearest ER now.

911Doctor :

you need a head CT scan

911Doctor :

and an exam to rule out a stroke syndrome or a bleed inside the brain.

911Doctor :

there really is no way whatsoever, no matter what you would say if we were conversing, that my answer, as a board certified ER physician would be any different than this.

911Doctor :

as well, you have a family history of stroke.

911Doctor :

not a time to take any chances.

911Doctor :

please go to the ER now, and it would be best if you went by ambulance.

911Doctor :

if you have questions for me please type them below and click reply

911Doctor :

and I will get back with you as soon as I see the reply.

911Doctor :

be well.

again, if you need to reply or ask further questions, type in the box below and click 'reply' and we will continue.

911doc