Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Hi, I have experienced Hi, I have experience a numbness

Hi, I have experienced

Hi, I have experience a numbness in my face, nose, and in my chest. I have experienced this when I am stressed, or had a couple of alcoholic drinks. If Ihave a drink its the next day. I also experience a tingling at the base of or what feels like my skull to neck area. I also can hear a sss sound like spinal fluid in the base of the skull in the back area Any suggestions as to what this could be?
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Was any tests done by the doctor ?
Do you have any known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have experienced the symptoms for 1 1/2 years. I work in a federal job 10 1/2 hrs a day. I have 3 children and it seems sometimes when i pick them up the tingling gets worse. No tests where done by the doctor. I have what drs. call a gortor on my neck very very small my throid test come back ok but on the verge of low. its been 4 yrs simce i have had it tested. sometimes i have what i would call palpitations in my chest.

Dear Tawny,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The numbness sensation you are having can have all kinds of different causes,as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes,pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.The most probable cause can be nerve root compression.

The underlying cause of numbness should be identified and then treated by your doctor.

You need following tests:

-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

Also thyroid levels should be get checked now as its been 4 years now & also you were on lower side.

So I advice you to make an appointment with a neurologist for these tests to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Tawny

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor for the tests?
have you underwent repeat thyroid levels?

Let me know,