Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have been coughing for a week. It is a dry cough, a couple

I have been coughing for a week. It is a dry cough, a couple of times it has been with phlem. I have tried cough drops and OTC cough medicine.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you get cough episodes in early morning? Do you get chest pain?
Any other health or medical problems? Do you have fever or nausea?
Are you a chronic smoker?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not a smoker. It has been worse when I wake up, and before bed. I have had some chest pain. I think a low grade like 99.0 degree fever no other medical problems.
Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems.
The possible causes of your cough could be asthma or bronchitis. Also certain allergies can exacerbate asthma or bronchitis.
Cough occurs due to irritation of the throat tissues either by infections or by other irritants.
The commonest causes of a dry cough are viral infection, asthma, heartburn and acid reflux, postnasal drip, bronchitis, anemia and certain drugs.

You should get these tests done-
Chest x-ray, Complete blood count, Pulmonary function tests, Blood oxygen saturation. You need to get a urgent clinical evaluation with doctor for examination, investigations to get the precise diagnosis. Management will be advised after clinical evaluation.
You should sleep propped up rather than flat. Also sip cold water from time to time during the day to dilute the acid and cool the stomach tissues.
Also you should do Menthol steam inhalation .As Menthol salts are available OTC, you can use them. You should do this three times daily. Based upon tests results, if required antibiotics may be prescribed. And in addition, a short course of systemic corticosteroid therapy may be given and has been proven to be effective.
Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.