Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

i went to the ER last Sunday with fever and bad body aches.

i went to the ER last Sunday with fever and bad body aches. I tested negative for the flu, but the Dr thought it might still be the flu, so he prescribed tamiflu. I have been running fever all week (101 - 102 degrees), but also started getting head congestion on Tuesday and still have that.

My fever was down to normal yesterday, but my congestion was still a problem, so I went to a Dr yesterday and I tested negative for strep. I was not able to see a Dr, but instead was seen by a Nurse Practitioner. She told me that it was probably another virus on top of the flu virus that I had earlier in the week.

My fever came back this morning at about 100 degrees and still very congested. It is down in my chest now too, but its not loose yet. My question is whether I should go to a different Dr and ask for a cortisone shot or possibly antibiotics? It seems like this stuff and the fever is lasting longer than it should, especially since I have been on Tamiflu all week.

Thanks,
Brad
Thank you for your question:

Do you have any ongoing/chronic medical problems?

Do you smoke?

Are you taking any medicine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have crohns. I don't smoke or drink. I am taking pentasa for crohns and also taking zocor and nexium.

I'm sorry for the delay - I had a few phone call interruptions

Thank you for the additional information. It is possible that you have developed a bacterial bronchitis or even a pneumonia following the influenza ("flu").

If you are not getting any better, a physician visit and possibly a chest x-ray would seem prudent.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response