Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

I took myself off of Hydrocodone cold turkey on 1/11/13. I

I took myself off of Hydrocodone cold turkey on 1/11/13. I had lots of chills etc, but I did it. I have severe osteoarthritis and get mouth and vulva ulcers from all NSAIDS and even Gabepentin. My pain interventionalist has now ordered Tramadol. After reading that it also could be addicting ( though not a narcotic). I am not sure I wish to try it. The Rx is at the pharmacy to be picked up. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

tramadol is not like other narcotic pain medication, i is rarely addicting and not habit forming

Dr Brims :

I think it is very reasonable for you to try it

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry, you stated my service is bad?

Dr Brims :

I am here to help

Dr Brims :

Are you able to see my replies?

Dr Brims :

Please respond if you are there

Were you able to see my replies in the chat session?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first email stated there was a reply, but I could not find one. Thank you for your time. I am a retired RN and am cautious to try the Tramadol since so many meds have caused the mouth ulcers and subsiquent staf. and fungal mouth infections with high fevers and months for them to go away. The vulvar ulcer was thought to be cancerous, but was also inflamatory-not cancer. When Nsaids were stopped the ulcers healed..

So are you interested in another medication or would yo like more information on tramadol?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What else would you suggest?

Have you tried celebrex? It works quite well (unless you have kidney problems). But tramadol is still very useful,and rarely causes addiction
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Celebrex did not help. I picked up the Tramadol today and took 1 this afternoon. I noticed that I became sleepy but not much else. I am seeing my orhopedic doctor on Tuesday to see if I have retorn my subscapular muscle. This, along with many other things, were repaired during my shoulder sx 11/11.

I will take another Tramadol before be and see if it will help.

Thank you for your time.

You're very welcome, if you still have questions on this subject please feel free to ask