Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello, I just recently visited with my new Doctor, My other

I just recently visited with my new Doctor, My other Doctor left town so I had to see a new one, Im 25 years old and when I was 18 I was diagnosed with Fatty liver, I had several Ultrasounds and bloodwork every 6 months, When I just saw him, I had blood work done again, since it has been about a year since my last one. My last Blood Work showed my ALT was up to 79, a year later and about 20 punds heavier my ALT is now 112. What does this mean? Does this mean i am progressing to cirrhosis?? I have been on a diet since the begining of January and have lost about 15 pounds, I was about 290 when i got my last LFTs and then i went up to about 320 not I am down to 305 after dieting for for a few weeks, I am just worried that I am progressing, the Dr. said to stay away from alcohol and over the counter medicince and come back in 3 weeks. He felt my abdomen when I was in his office yesterday and said he did not feel my liver, so it wasnt swollen. Could I have cirhosis? The GI Dr. I saw in 2010 said there was no reason for a biopsy because it wouldnt change the method of treatment which was diet and excercise, of course i was about 260 lbs then and my ALT was around 66. What do you think I should do?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

With the current liver function tests you do not have cirrhosis

Customer:

How do we know that?

Dr Brims :

The rise in your LFT's is likely from your weight gain

Dr Brims :

Have you bee drinking alcohol?

Customer:

No, I have stopped, I did drink around January 19th for a party but have not drank since then

Dr Brims :

Because LFT's are usually very low with cirrhosis

Dr Brims :

The alcohol may have also caused the rise

Customer:

So do you think at 112 it is still simple fatty liver?

Dr Brims :

Yes, I do

Customer:

Ok, What can I do to bring them down, I have a family and really dont want to die young.

Dr Brims :

Eating the correct foods, exercising and avoiding alcohol are the best

Customer:

ok, is there anything I can take to help?

Dr Brims :

No, there is nothing to take that can help

Customer:

Ok. Thank You for your time and clarification

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome