Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

RA - sa

Customer Question

i have a sharp in my chest an ekg was the ekg show normal ekg but it alson states enlargement left artery. c-reactive protein level was done and it was 6.5 the reference range is 3.00 how much danger i am in
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Please clarify whether EKG showed enlargment of left artery or left ventricle?

It must be ventricle as enlargement of an artery can not be detected by an EKG.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

left ventricle

Thank you very much.

Well an EKG can not detect or tell enlargement of left artery. It should be enlargement of left ventricle or left atrium.

At this point it is difficult to say how much risk you are at, but definitely following are positive indicators of increased risk of a heart condition in your case.

Age more than 60 yrs.

EKG changes suggestive of enlargement of a cardiac chamber.

And increased CRP levels (which presumably would be highly selective CRP test) also suggest an increased risk of cardiac condition.

You should need a more detailed evaluation now.

Echocardiography, and Angiogram as well (since an EKG can miss any narrowing of blood vessels supplying blood to heart, which an angiogram can detect).

This will direct further management plan, which can be in the form of;

Drugs only

Intervention in the form of stent placement in the heart vessels

A combination of drugs as well as intervention

Daily walk, improved cholesterol levels, good control of blood pressure, all will promise a longevity and good heart status long term.

You should see a cardiologist at earliest, discuss all the details i have mentioned and get a further management plan chalked out that will suit best to your needs.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.