Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

Have you ever heard of something like brain zaps with fever?

Customer Question

Have you ever heard of something like brain zaps with fever? I am running a fever, we have the flu, and my head feels like little zaps of electric or something is that normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Hello, Thank you for your question,

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Headaches ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Do you have stiffness in neck ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

photophobia ?

Customer : No stiffness eyes hurt slightly but so did my husband with flu
Customer : No headache
Customer : Chills, fever, cough, throat tickly, chest a lil rattle
Customer : No stiffness eyes hurt slightly but so did my husband with flu12:42 PMNo headache
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Since when you have these symptoms ?

Customer : Couple days
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Are they increasing or decreasing in intensity ?

Customer : Well I had fatigue since Monday
Customer : But no fever til yesterday
Dr.S.A.Alam :

These symptoms are increasing or decreasing ?

Customer : Well I just had fatigue and a tiny cough til last couple days just now started running fever so basically I feel like I "really" just am getting it
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Thank you for your reply, i will try to help you make a plan for next action needed.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

These symptoms are indicative of possible lung or respiratory tract infection, in most cases these are viral, these last for around 5-7 days in most cases.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

The symptoms of headache, abnormal brain sensation can occur with such infections.

Customer : They can? What causes them?
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Warning of red flag symptoms that indicate that there is something serious.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

are

Dr.S.A.Alam :

headache, photophobia,

Dr.S.A.Alam :

neck stiffness

Dr.S.A.Alam :

high grade fever

Dr.S.A.Alam :

These symptoms in the head can be initial symptoms of infection spreading in the head or meningitis. So best option is to get a clinical examination ASAP

Dr.S.A.Alam :

If you have symptoms of neck stiffness, headache or photophobia then you need to go to emergency

Dr.S.A.Alam :

department right away.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Customer : What about brain zaps?
Customer : It feels like light headed ness and brain zaps
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Well these can occur in viral infections because inflammation in the body can cause these abnormal sensations.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

while on the other hand they if increasing can be indicative of presence of infection in this area

Dr.S.A.Alam :

so no delay in evaluation

Customer : But are you telling me its a symptom of meningitis?
Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

These are abnormal symptoms and can occur in initial cases of meningitis, but they are not diagnostic of meningitis they can just be due to generalized inflammation due to infection

Customer : My husband had same symptoms he has the flu, all but brain zaps we have both 100 degree temps our normals are 97.3
Dr.S.A.Alam :

We evaluate them by

Dr.S.A.Alam :

keeping an eye on the symptoms

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Everyone behaves differently to infections as immune system is different

Dr.S.A.Alam :

for everyone

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Customer : Pulse is elevated 92
Customer : Normal 68-77
Dr.S.A.Alam :

This is a sign of infection in the body

Dr.S.A.Alam :

along with fever

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Customer : Dr called in amoxicillin hubby was seen he has same symptoms as I same fever everything exept brain zaps
Customer : His pulse is elevated too
Customer : I think I waited to long to take tamiflu thought I had mild case
Dr.S.A.Alam :

It is good to start amoxil, as these are mostly viral so best would have been to get tamiflu after testing for virus.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

amoxil will only cover if this is bacterial which occurs in much lesser cases

Customer : The worst part is the light headed brain zap feeling
Customer : It scares me
Dr.S.A.Alam :

I know how bad it feels if worse.

Customer : Feels like I'm gonna pass out didn't feel this way don't think anyways til I began to go up a lil in fever
Dr.S.A.Alam :

So meningitis should not be missed although as i have mentioned it can simply be a part of infection in the chest or extension in the ears.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

queries ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Let me know...

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Thank you.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Do rate the answer as positive if answer has helped.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Have a nice day.

Customer : What does it mean when you take Tylenol and brain zas go away? Fever not gone down yet but I don't feel as feverish?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I was following your question.
What exactly do you mean by brain zaps?
What are you feeling?
Any shaking of your body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shaking just like a zapping sensation in my head just like a second almost like electricity, started about the time I felt feverish and started running fever, 100.3 just a bit later. Took Tylenol and 3 hours later fever went down to about 99 but after I took Tylenol they seemed to have went away, my husband has the flu and had headache, chills, cough, eyes hurt, same fever as mine, our normal runs 97.3. I have all the same symptoms but my back has hurt and my head don't hurt, and very weak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and coughing up yellow phlem, my husband went to dr they said it was getting in his bronchials, he's on tamiflu and z pack I'm on penicillin type because of bit of heart arrhythmia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and it's mostly when I get up or sit up or transition, like a blood rush but more of a zapping electric feeling. Can you recatch the flu from items you've touched yourself or from my husband or can my husband recatch it back from me being were on different time frames he's been thru symptoms first, I did have him on couch in diff room but we seem to both have same thing can we go back to normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also this is going to sound juvenile but just how far back do you stick thermometer under tongue and why is my left side under tongue is a half a degree hotter than my right under tongue. Any clues? Any side you're suppose to do? Ect? Also both my husband and my pulse are running high. Mine 88-92 his 96, regularly his runs 66-78 mine 68-77.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is Camille and I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and close out thanks so much. :)

Thank you for your reply. Tylenol is an anti-inflammatory medicine.
As i have been mentioning that this Zap like feeling can be due to inflammation, so this medicine blocks the inflammation and reduces these symptoms.

You have more questions ?
Let me know.